Home For accounting professionals General accounting discussion
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Recharging expenses

Chinless WonderChinless Wonder Feels At HomeRegistered Posts: 61
Hey there

Quick bookkeeping question.

Our company has incurred expenses for a client. Expenses have all been posted to same nominal code (it's called Project Costs For Recharge).

We are recharging these to the client - should I post the invoice to a Income code or is it ok to post the invoice to the Expense code?

Either way it nets off to no net income or expense. The only difference is posting to an Income code increases the turnover with a corresponding expense; the other removes the expense completely.

My gut feeling is that it should be an income code but I don't think it's correct to increase turnover when this isn't actually a sale?

CW

Comments

• imeldabyeimeldabye Well-Known Registered Posts: 147
    In my experience you should charge it out as income, as you are in reality charging it out in a sales invoice.
    provato9
  • MarieNoelleMarieNoelle Trusted Regular Hampshire/Surrey borderModerator, MAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,432
    I would post it as income (as imeldabye suggested) and enter the expenses incurred as "cost of sales".
    provato9
  • MonsoonMonsoon Font Of All Knowledge FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 4,071
    I would post it as income (as imeldabye suggested) and enter the expenses incurred as "cost of sales".

Yes, this.