ICAS Project Plan

Spamkebab
Spamkebab Registered Posts: 233 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Hi gang,

To all of you that have completed the assessment or the project plan:

Did you fill out the actual plan itself of did you use a separate piece/pieces of paper?

There doesn't seem to be enough space on the plan to write answers, i am either filling in too

much information or separate paper would be common sense.

Thanks for any advice,

Neil.

P.S. this assessment is making me feel really dumb.
I can back this up with dumb questions posted on here lol.

Comments

• jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Neil,

Not dumb, don't worry ICAS leaves everyone feeling that way!! :001_smile:

I just typed mine out as a word document but using the headings etc from the project plan template sent to me. This was with Kaplan distance learning but I would think it would be fine for any of them
  • Whirlwind
    Whirlwind Registered Posts: 249 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I have also found that this unit has damaged my 'common sense' ability. I am asking the most basic questions of my tutor!!

I completed the form/layout that was in the BPP workbook, as I wanted to make sure I wasn't writing too much. I wrote:
    A paragraph on the company and external stakeholders;
    A sentence on what the report covers;
    Two paragraphs on staff in department;
    List of three - documents to review and staff members to interview;
    List of five fraud areas;
    Three paragraphs listing initial recommendations.

I am finding this unit difficult but that may be as I'm totally over thinking each part!!

Thank heaven for the forum!!
  • Spamkebab
    Do i identify one area of the accounts function and base my project plan on this? so that all questions on the

plan form relate the the function i have identified?

Thanks,

Neil.
  • Whirlwind
    Well I did and the tutor accepted the proposal, but always best to double check with your tutor as they mark it. My tutor seems fine with answering all my questions (fortunately).
  • Spamkebab
    Thanks Whirlwind.

I am spending a lot of time looking down a lot of different avenues, choosing one main area and focusing on it's strengths and weaknesses fits into the plan better.

Neil.
  • Whirlwind
    I found the proposal the hardest bit as I was committing to one section and bascially the whole company needs help!!

I found that the workbook and emails suggested focusing on payables, receivables or payroll - so it was a choice of three. Then I listed all the weaknesses within these three and then decided which I felt most comfortable I investigate and write about, then put it in the proposal. I have now used the proposal as what Im writing about in the rest of the report - it does all link up, but its only in hindsight I can see it.

There is light at the end of the tunnel - I cant believe Im over half way through!!
  • Spamkebab
    I don't understand the 'what is the structure of the accounts department' bit.

I know it's a brick building in my mind lol.
  • Whirlwind
    I think this was where the accounts department chart came in. I created this in Word, create smart art, Hierachy but just for the accounts department. I dont have my books with me, but I will edit this if I'm wrong.

Just realised - are you referring to the proposal? If so, will have to wait til I get home and can look over mine as only did a chart for the actual project.
  • Spamkebab
    Yeah i'm on the proposal, I think i have enough to do the actual assessment but the plan is proving flipping difficult. It doesn't help that i don't understand what half of the questions mean.

I would be really, well and truly grateful for any help and pointers.

Ta,

Neil.
  • Whirlwind
    Hi,

I only had to write, a brief description of the company; part of accounting system; relevant department;
    ideas for research; potential areas of fraud; initial recommendations - so nothing about the company structure. Not until the actual project under section introduction to the company, then I used the info in the BPP text to explain whether the company was a flat/tall or centralised/decentralised company.

I also struggled with the terms used, but thank goodness for google and the thesaurus, have been able to understand most things!!
  • kneesupmotherbrown
    kneesupmotherbrown Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Hi :)

The section I'm struggling with is "Is the system used to its full potential?"...I think I'm just being a little dim, but my mind has hit a brick wall.

Anyone be able to point me in the right direction please?
  • Spamkebab
    And mine is 'how are they monitored for change' 'how do they implement change'

Monitored by who? change of what? these questions seem so general and a lot of them don't relate to Inkwell.

On the plus side, i think i have enough to write about for the project after trying to fill out the plan lol.

As always, really grateful for any help.

Thanks,

Neil.
  • kneesupmotherbrown
    Spam,

Think they mean how would the regs (HMRC ect) be monitored for changes by inkwell...

..What function are you writing about?

Kneesup.
  • Spamkebab
    General ledger and Inventory is going to be my choice.

The wording in the 'Word' document to be filled in is somewhat misleading and open to interpretation. I can't seem to understand how half the questions relate to Inkwells story as they don't seem to have much of anything in place.
  • kneesupmotherbrown
    yeah, ignore things like SOX.

I'm surprised about the amount of stuff you just have to assume IWL do (money Laundering etc).

I'm finding doing the weakness table quite difficult. I have chosen Payroll as the function.

...What additional books are you using to guide you?

Kneesup
  • Spamkebab
    I only had the Kaplan text for study but i've just had the BPP book delivered.

Books i own for reference are Frank Wood's Bookkeeping and Accounts, Management & Cost Accounting by Colin Drury, IFRS for Dummies by Steve of the forum, i've amassed loads since i started studying lol. Got a library full of books i don't understand.
  • omega man
    omega man Registered Posts: 283
    Frank wood,now your showing your age,i have frank wood 1+2.
    I am doing inkwell too and i might go to free session by BPP on 4th Dec,esp as i can talk to tutors about after level 4.
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I have the Frank Wood books as well.

Unfortunately I can't get to Birmingham on the 4th as monthend at work and also got Budgeting exam on 6th Dec, if anyone discovers anything to help do let me know. I am doing Inkwell as well.

Thanks

Jan
  • Spamkebab
    I'll tell you what, with the amount of basic stuff i've forgotten while studying level 4, i'm glad i've got my trusty Frank Woods.

I seriously had to read up on the basics again when i started reading the Inkwell scenario lol. Oh i can analyse the business til the cows come home but what the heck is a Purchase Ledger lol.
  • omega man
    I have got up to the swot analysis on my project plan,i am doing this before the report,not sure if thats right or not.
    What i need to know is the mapping document appears to be attached to the project plan,does this need to be returned to the tutor as well as the plan,because if so i am totally lost.
  • Spamkebab
    As i understand it Omega, the mapping document has to be handed in with the report at the various stages. The gear listed on the mapping document should be cross referenced to different paragraphs in your project and the tutor/assessor will want to see that this is the case.
    That's the way it's going to work with me, but reading other posts it seems that different study providers may have different approaches.
    I have handed in my plan and now have to wait up to 14 days for feedback. What i want to know is how the hell that girl completed levels 2, 3 and 4 in 4 months when it takes 2 weeks just to get feedback from the plan?
    Favouritism much? lol.
  • Whirlwind
    I just cracked on with the sections of the unit that weren't affected by the proposal, like Introduction to the Company and the appendices for Company/Department chart, Technical Notes (info on what a Balance Sheet, Profit&Loss, Cashflow), etc.

That way you aren't wasting time or momentum!!
  • omega man
    My tutor wants my plan in by the 13th Dec,and i will get feedback in 2 days before she leaves for xmas.
  • omega man
    Spamkebab-You mean you have written the report itself not the project plan form? i am confused
  • Spamkebab
    No, I mean the project plan form.

The plan is the bit i am struggling with. I have filled it out as best as i know how to and sent it via email to my assessor. My assessor said she will review it and get back to me within 14 days.

After struggling with the plan i think i can put together a decent enough report though.
  • omega man
    Yeah i think thats the idea of the plan to get you motivated and have a base plan to work from and like whirlwind said you can crack on with charts and appendices so you are not wasting time.
    I got confused switching from the assessment to the plan,and the mapping document is only uploaded wth the assessment so i can relax again now.
    Although i have just whisked an e-mail to my tutor for more guidance,time for a spot of lunch now.
Privacy Policy