VAT return filing

Options
Dcollins
Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Does anyone know of any reliable (and cheap) software that can be used to file a single VAT return?

I have 64-8 for client, but there's been a mix-up with HMRC (long story) and I'm waiting for my client to receive a new agent authorisation code.

Thanks

Comments

• JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    You used to be able to just create an HMRC login in the client's name and immediatly file the return, it has been a long time since I've done that though so I don't know if it still works.
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    JodieR wrote: ยป
    You used to be able to just create an HMRC login in the client's name and immediatly file the return, it has been a long time since I've done that though so I don't know if it still works.

I did this about a month ago and it worked ok. Same situation, was waiting for the client's authorisation code which I'd requested a week previously, which of course arrived the day after I'd created the login in their name to submit the return!
  • Dcollins
    Options
    Thank you both. Authorisation code arrived today, so that's sorted.

The idea of logging in as the client is interesting. I did that for a client before they allowed non-VAT-registered agents to file, which was fine until the client decided to try register to file the return themselves.

If anyone does use software for VAT returns I'd still be interested to know what you use.
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Options
    I tried to use Sage for the client I referred to above, but it wouldn't let me file which was strange. I always thought you could submit using software even if you don't have authorisation (you certainly used to for payroll) but it wouldn't accept our agent login with the client's VAT number. Once I'd obtained a login as the client, it went through no problem!
  • JodieR
    Options
    I do submit most VAT returns through quickbooks now but I don't think I've had to try submit one for a client who I wasn't yet authorised for since the feature arrived, so I don't know if it would work or not.
    It's obviously not ideal logging on as the client, but when the only alternative is penalties and fines I don't think it's a bad idea and I can't think many clients would have a problem with it.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I file via Sage accounts but it still needed our log in and the client's VAT number. As each client is still on the same program I end up having to put the info in for each one but still needed to be authorised. I would assume that I can put in the clients log in details should we not be authorised in some way?
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Options
    Yes you can just enter the client's login details into Sage, that's what I ended up doing when it wouldn't accept our login with their VAT number. Things are never simple are they?!
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Really odd as that's exactly how I managed to file one this week, their VAT number our log in details.

Hang on, did you not have authorisation? I don't think they will accept it if you don't have them on your client portal.
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Options
    Yes, this was for the one we didn't yet have authorisation for!

Still think it's odd though as I thought the whole point of filing via software was that it didn't matter whether you had authorisation or not. We used to be able to file via Sage Payroll without authorisation (haven't tried it recently) and via Iris for Self Assessment.

I wonder whether this is a Sage issue or a HMRC issue? Would be interesting to know if anyone can file VAT Returns via any other software without authorisation.
  • Dcollins
    Options
    Yes, this was for the one we didn't yet have authorisation for!

Still think it's odd though as I thought the whole point of filing via software was that it didn't matter whether you had authorisation or not. We used to be able to file via Sage Payroll without authorisation (haven't tried it recently) and via Iris for Self Assessment.

I wonder whether this is a Sage issue or a HMRC issue? Would be interesting to know if anyone can file VAT Returns via any other software without authorisation.

This is what I've been wondering, and people seem to have different experiences. We can file SATRs, CT600s and P35s using software without authorisation, so it would make sense that VAT would be the same.

The VAT office seems to have a different way of operating though, and it doesn't always make sense.
  • JodieR
    Options
    The VAT office seems to have a different way of operating though, and it doesn't always make sense.

can we change 'always' to 'EVER'?!
Privacy Policy