Property Income Wheeze

Options
BIG WAL
BIG WAL Registered Posts: 133 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Happy New Year to all. Can anyone help with property related query ?

A client owns both A Co and B Co. They have very different trades and both trades run at a loss.
But B Co has letting income from residential property, which can’t be offset against the trading loss
and therefore has a CT liability.

So he’s decided that A Co will charge a management fee to B Co for administering the properties.
(Assume it can be backed up with proper paperwork). On that basis, A Co still won’t pay CT because
even after the management fee income, there's still a small loss.

For B Co, the management fee can quite legitimately be offset against the property income– mitigating
tax on the property income.

Sounds like a good wheeze (just like Starbucks) –or is there a catch ?

Comments

• reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    BIG WAL wrote: »
    Happy New Year to all. Can anyone help with property related query ?

A client owns both A Co and B Co. They have very different trades and both trades run at a loss.
    But B Co has letting income from residential property, which can’t be offset against the trading loss
    and therefore has a CT liability.

So he’s decided that A Co will charge a management fee to B Co for administering the properties.
    (Assume it can be backed up with proper paperwork). On that basis, A Co still won’t pay CT because
    even after the management fee income, there's still a small loss.

For B Co, the management fee can quite legitimately be offset against the property income– mitigating
    tax on the property income.

Sounds like a good wheeze (just like Starbucks) –or is there a catch ?

I would have thought that this transaction would have to be disclosed in both sets of accounts as a related party transaction and that HMRC could challenge the valuation of the transaction, i.e. argue that the valuation of the management fee is too high.
  • BIG WAL
    BIG WAL Registered Posts: 133 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Thanks - I hadn't thought of that. I'll make sure it's disclosed in both accounts, and client is advised that while it worksfor tax, there's a risk of it being challenged.
Privacy Policy