Project advice - work based project or not?

Options
marvel7
marvel7 Registered Posts: 15 Dedicated contributor 🦉
I am about to start the project but I am unsure if i should do it based on my existing employer or ask my tutor to give me a project.

The main issue is that although I work in the Financial Services industry I currently dont work in the Finance department so I feel i may find certain aspects of the project difficult but if I get given the project I will have all the information to hand and I wont need to complete any research.

Do people recommend completing the project based on their workplace or is it more advisable to complete a project given by the tutor.

Comments

• janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi Marvel7

Firstly this is just my opinion based on what I know, I attempted to do the project work based and I do work in a Finance dept, I got so much bad input from work that in the end I have gone for the scenario, to say it was the easy option, lets say had it 3 months now and got no clue.......1st draft due Feb 18th.

Good luck

Jan
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    marvel7 wrote: »
    I am about to start the project but I am unsure if i should do it based on my existing employer or ask my tutor to give me a project.

The main issue is that although I work in the Financial Services industry I currently dont work in the Finance department so I feel i may find certain aspects of the project difficult but if I get given the project I will have all the information to hand and I wont need to complete any research.

Do people recommend completing the project based on their workplace or is it more advisable to complete a project given by the tutor.

I think it depends on whether or not you have a supportive training manager/mentor.

I work in practice (i.e. not in a finance department) and consequently found it really hard doing the ICAS project on my work (I get the feeling the ICAS project is more designed for people working in sales ledger, or accounts payable, etc). However the fact that my employer was supportive helped a lot and saved me from having to read the case study. The only good thing about doing the project on work is that you should know your work relatively well and so thinking of things to write should be relatively easy.
  • Whirlwind
    Whirlwind Registered Posts: 249 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi guys,

I felt that using a project based scenario was better as the information needed was all provided. The answers to all the mapping document requirements are all there, they just needed digging out!! For example, I broke down a paragraph or sentence even down to 'naming' words just to work out what software system they use. Its all there really - I promise - it just took forever to find it!!

There were so many moments that I felt like I was drowning in information but if I had used work based there would be no end to what to include.

Keep up the good work - you can do it, Im proof!!
  • SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I did the case study and found that it was easy to tailor the project to your interests, there were so many areas to improve!

I'd say a work based project is a risk, and could pay off big time or be a disaster depending on your workplace. Some workplaces wouldn't want to be criticised and would see the project as an attack on them as it's all about picking flaws. Anothe workplace may like that you've pulled out weaknesses and thought about ways to improve, showing that you're aware of issues.

I'd say if your work supports the idea of a work based project then they may be open to the 'criticism', although if the aren't pushing you to do the work project just do the case study - less at risk and probably easier!
Privacy Policy