2008 Tax Return

Options
groundy
groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Bit of a long shot but thought I would see if anyone had any experience of this.

We took on a new client late last year who had outstanding tax returns going back to 2008. We have updated all their affairs and submitted the returns.

HMRC have now written explaining that they plan to take no action over the 2008 return as it has been filed after the deadline of 5 April 2012, however our client was due a £1,849 refund for that year. HMRC are refusing to budge on this one and at the same time have hit our client with £1,300 penalties for the 2011 late filing.

The client has hid his head in the sand far too long with this one and excepts that but I wondered if anyone has successfully appealed a late return in this respect and also has anyone had any joy appealing the daily penalties for 2011.

Sorry for the ramble its 8.30pm and still in the office, dont you love January!

Thanks for any help offered

Comments

• JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I would call the penalty appeal a 'February job'. Don't worry about it any more this month!
  • BIG WAL
    BIG WAL Registered Posts: 133 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Despite low hopes of success we appealed £2600 of penalties for 2011 for one of two partners. Appeal was made in early October, when appointed as his agent only - (not his partner's). Seems the partner
    had taken responsibility to look after the admin, while my client dealt with sales and customers. He was unaware the books and SA had been neglected. Took 3/4 weeks to get paperwork, but managed to
    complete 2011 accounts and submit client's and partnership SA by 1st Dec.

Really pleasantly surprised to have appeal accepted.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    I have appealed £1300 for a late 2011 Return but I think I was successful as there ended up being no liability. Always worth appealing though.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    groundy wrote: »
    I wondered if anyone has successfully appealed a late return in this respect and also has anyone had any joy appealing the daily penalties for 2011.

Yes and yes. Play up a reasonable sob story, including lack of funds, don't take no for an answer.

Also check here

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/article/reasonable-excuse-scorecard-taxpayers-11-hmrc-7/517140

As to the 2008 refund, from memory I think he may have lost it, but I don't know.
Privacy Policy