is AAT wrong on this practice question or am i (images included), Cash Managment

Options
Hi all if any would could help that would be great , (im guessing I have overlook something here)

My answer :

zsyq2.jpg

AAT model Answer:

57TyN.jpg

Based my answer on Kaplan book "When interest rates are low money is less expensive to borrow so people will spend more. It will also create inflation this can make it harder for some people to pay for goods as prices will rise"

Comments

• coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    topcat wrote: »
    Hi all if any would could help that would be great , (im guessing I have overlook something here)

My answer :

zsyq2.jpg

AAT model Answer:

57TyN.jpg

Based my answer on Kaplan book "When interest rates are low money is less expensive to borrow so people will spend more. It will also create inflation this can make it harder for some people to pay for goods as prices will rise"

If low interest rates lead to inflation then when there is already high inflation interest rates must rise to try and bring inflation back down again. If interest rates get lower then people will continue to spend which will further drive up inflation. Inflation is caused in part by demand being greater than supply (ie people want to buy more than is available) this drives up prices thereby increasing inflation. To lower inflation then, either supply needs to increase or demand needs to decrease. The B of E can't do anything about supply but they can try and alter demand by increasing interest rates to give people less money to spend. It does sometimes seem counter intuitive I know.
  • crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 466 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hello,

In time when interest rates are low this is likely to encourage people to borrow and spend, however this can cause the value of the £ to decrease (inflation). One of triggers a government will use in time of high inflation is to rise interest rates rates depressing the amount of borrowing/spending.

Linky:
    http://money.howstuffworks.com/interest-rate4.htm
  • topcat
    topcat Registered Posts: 452
    Options
    thank you both the light bulb has finally turned on after reading both of your posts :001_smile:
Privacy Policy