Recovering CIS Tax

Options
ijaccounting
ijaccounting Registered Posts: 9 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi guys,
I haven't dealt with CIS vouchers before, my client self employed and all of the payment he received was via CIS vouchers;tax has been ducted at sources. I am not quite sure which forum he should fill to recover the tax he paid. HMRC sent him a SA form! not quite sure if this the correct form he needs.
any idea would be great; thank you

Comments

• peaman
    peaman Registered Posts: 123 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    You just enter the CIS deducted on his tax return (SA100) and it will be offset against his tax liability.
  • stevo5678
    stevo5678 Registered Posts: 325
    Options
    That's right. Make sure you show his income in his self employment as gross ie add the cis back on to what is physically received in the bank. Then deduct all the expenses to get to the profit. When you complete his tax return online there will be a box for CIS deductions.
  • RAS
    RAS Registered Posts: 124 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    agree with both comments
  • ijaccounting
    Options
    peaman wrote: »
    You just enter the CIS deducted on his tax return (SA100) and it will be offset against his tax liability.
    many thanks for the useful advice.
  • ijaccounting
    Options
    stevo5678 wrote: »
    That's right. Make sure you show his income in his self employment as gross ie add the cis back on to what is physically received in the bank. Then deduct all the expenses to get to the profit. When you complete his tax return online there will be a box for CIS deductions.
    very useful, thank you. not quite sure though, do I need to fill SA1035 or shall I show his gross income in box 15 under (other UK income not included on supplementary pages) of SA100 less box 16 ( allowable expenses) and any tax taken goes to box 15.
    Many thanks in advance for any comments.
  • stevo5678
    stevo5678 Registered Posts: 325
    Options
    You need to do the self employment supplementary pages SEF 1 to SEF 6. Gross income/turnover is box 14 and expenses are 16-29. If you do this online it will ask you all the relevant questions;

Did you have self employment income?
    What is your turnover?
    What are your expenses?
    Etc

CIS deductions is box 80.

Thanks
Privacy Policy