Hello, need a little Advice about getting back on track.

Options
Inck
Inck Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
Hello,

I graduated in 2011 with a 2:2 with a Degree in Business, unfortunately I have been unable to land a job as of yet (Still working in retail), I really want to become an accountant but can’t find anyone to take me on to do my ACA/ACCA.

I was wondering if I do the AAT would IT boost my chances? I have been told several times that it’s not worth doing as it’s a “step back” but I can’t see what else I can do.
I have been suggested to do a CFAB instead but it does not seem to be as well recognised as the AAT.

I was also told to start doing ACCA off my own back and hopefully land a job doing this as it may impress employers..But this is a little risky.

Can anyone advise me on what I can do?

Comments

• Amy Smith
    Amy Smith Registered Posts: 54 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hello!

I would advise that you attempt the AAT qualification...

You can self study in your own time and book exams as you please so you can qualify quicker or slower, depending on your flexibility. This will give you a much clearer insight into accountancy as well as more opportunities to be employed.

Plus, being AAT qualified will give you some exemptions in your ACCA/ACA qualification. If you feel it would be a 'step back', you can opt to not complete level 2 and jump straight into Level 3 then Level 4. Some aspects you may find simple, but other aspects will be challenging!

Hope this helps :001_smile:
    Here to help
    ~AAT Qualified~
  • Inck
    Options
    Thanks for the Reply Amy

I don't mind starting from level 2, I was just worried that I would be making the wrong decision.

I have been doing a little research and views seem to be mixed about doing the AAT after a Degree, some went as far as saying that it was looked down up by employers.

Is this true at all?

I just want to make sure I don't make the wrong decisions.
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hello Inck

I don't think the AAT qualification is looked down on by employers. It is a great foundation to build your accountancy studies upon and will help you if/when you move onto ACCA/ACA/CIMA etc.

Also, you might find that accountancy is not for you but if you start at level 3 (or level 2) you could finish within a year or so and still have a qualification, whereas if you start at ACCA you may not complete the qualification and I think you have to complete quite a few papers to be classed as part qualified.

You could look for voluntary work to give you some experience with accounts whilst looking for an employer who will give you a training contract/package. I think you could start on your own with the basics (books only) depending on your budget whilst looking for that training contract.

I'd say go for it if it is something you really want to do... when I was thinking about further studies I heard this quote and remember it well.... may help you with your decision - I'd rather regret the things I have done than the things that I haven't. :o

Hope this helps and good luck.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Inck
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Jo,

It is what I want to do and the accounting modules I did during my studies are what I enjoyed most.

This is why I was looking to do the AAT, to boost my chances in finding a job since my 2:2 has put me in a bad position.

I am feeling a little more confident in doing it now thanks :)
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Fantastic :001_tongue:

Look forward to seeing you on the forum in the future :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
Privacy Policy