Prison Officer Needs Adivce

macattack
macattack Registered Posts: 8 Regular contributor ⭐
Hello all.

I am after some advice please. I am thinking of a career change and going into accounting. What I would like to know is do you have to be brilliant at maths for this (silly question I know) :001_smile:

The reason I ask is that it was almost 25 years since I last studied maths and I feel I may be a bit out of date, I only managed a grade C at CSE level.

I have been looking at the AAT access course, would this give me what I am after reference maths.

Many thanks and hope for some sound advice
Mac

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hello Mac

Welcome to the forum :o

No, you don't need to be brilliant at maths. If you can add, subtract and do some simple percentages you should be ok... plus you can use your calculator in the exams!

Have you tried the test on the AAT site which advises what level would be suitable for you to commence with?

Good luck with it all, we are a friendly bunch and always happy to help.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • macattack
    Hi Jo.

Many thanks for the reply and advice. I have looked on the AAT site and for some reason cannot find the test, must be going blind in my old age :001_smile:

Pete
  • Jo Clark
    Hello Pete

https://www.aat.org.uk/qualifications/aat-skillcheck

Try the skill check and see how you do :o

JC
    Benjamin Franklin
  • macattack
    Jo Clark wrote: »
    Hello Pete

JC

Excellent Jo, thank you again. I will hopefully get round to the skills test during the week.

Pete
  • sarah2266
    sarah2266 Registered Posts: 49 Epic contributor 🐘
    HI
    I have taken redundancy from the prison service after 15 years at Glen Parva, my last day is the end of this month.
    I have been studying AAT over the past 18 months and i am now on level 4. i would not worry too much about the maths maybe just brush up on your percentages. I have done all mine by distance learning and have coped ok and also only got a c in maths some 25 years ago..i started straight on level 2.
    Sarah
  • mandatory
    mandatory Registered Posts: 59 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi Pete,

I was told at the start of my AAT course that in order to survive the maths you just need to know how to use a calculator! You won't have to solve any complicated equations, certainly nothing harder than calculating percentages. :) Good luck!

Manda
  • macattack
    mandatory wrote: »
    Hi Pete,

I was told at the start of my AAT course that in order to survive the maths you just need to know how to use a calculator! You won't have to solve any complicated equations, certainly nothing harder than calculating percentages. :) Good luck!

Manda

Hello Manda, Thank you for the advice its much appreciated. I feel a little better now.

Pete
  • macattack
    Hi.

Thank you for taking the time to reply Sarah. I guess I will be starting the AAT course too late for me to take the redundancy package. I have been in the service for 13 years and if I start in the level 2 in May, Septemebr is just round the corner and I wont be able to finish the level 2 in time to get a low paid accountancy job and used the VEDs money to bulk my salary.

Pete
  • macattack
    Jo Clark wrote: »
    Hello Pete

JC

Hi Jo, Good new, just took the skills test and I am not as thick as I thought I was :001_smile:. It said to start on level 2, phewwwww, money and time well saved.

Pete
  • Jo Clark
    Great news Pete :)

Remember if you need any help just post the question on the forum and someone should reply. I found the forum so helpful when studying AAT.

Enjoy! :o
    Benjamin Franklin
  • sarah2266
    sarah2266 Registered Posts: 49 Epic contributor 🐘
    hi

I had decided a couple of years ago that the prison service was no longer for me, so was well prepared for veds, i am a third through level four. redundancy will keep happening with the prison service till it is full of OSG and prison officer 2.
    i would start the AAT as soon as. are you doing distance learning or college?
    sarah
  • macattack
    Hi Sarah
    I am currently the unions health & safety rep so I am at present studying for the diploma in health & safety (paid for by the union), once that is finished in June I will enroll on the AAT level 2. I will be doing it distant learning, I have a mate who has finished level 2 now doing level 3 with home learning college. I have read previously that they are a little expensive so will have a look at premier training and see how they are price wise.

I do hope they will bring VEDS out again as I don't think anyone at Blundeston will get it as we are short of staff as it never mind laying them off, well fingers crossed it will be before I retire at 68....lol
  • macattack
    Hi Jo.

I am finding the site really helpful at the mo with all the advice I am getting, So a big thank you to you and everyone for helping me so far.

Pete
Privacy Policy