What payroll training should I do?

Options
KareenaChapman
KareenaChapman Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
I have been processing payroll for a few years using the hmrc basic payroll for one employer who only had two staff and Sage payroll for another employer who has 7 staff. I am now working for a school with approx 70 staff, we currently outsource payroll but I am keen to take some payroll training so we can bring it in house. There are so many courses out there I can't work out what's best, I have some payroll knowledge gained through doing the smaller payrolls so don't want to go too basic but I also. don't want to presume that I know more than I do as it's all self learnt(I referred to the hmrc site when things cropped up such as maternity and csa payments etc). Any suggestions?

Comments

• AbhGok
    AbhGok Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    You are on the right track - First you have to try for learning payroll yourself as you have been processing payroll for a few years means you are known something basic about it, If not possible then join payroll training.

Finally, It's a nice idea to do payroll by yourself if you have time otherwise outsource it.
  • stevef
    stevef Registered Posts: 258 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    If the school is a VA, CP or LEA Secondary school, the staff are employees of the LEA. In such cases, particularly with the potential complexities of teachers pay, would it not be best to let the LEA process through their payroll.
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Depending how much details you need etc. I think you may be interested in the Payroll Practitioner Certificate and possibly Diploma through the CIPP. I studied this and found it really interesting and useful even though I am not currently working in payroll.

http://www.cipp.org.uk/en/learning-and-development/Payroll-qualifications/
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
Privacy Policy