is a brand new office chair capital expenditure ?

Options
I am thinking it would be but Kaplan books states it is Revenue Expenditure but can not work out why ?

Comments

• steve2008
    steve2008 Registered Posts: 89 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    imo, it would depend on the business and their use of the materiality concept.

I imagine most businesses would not bother considering a chair as a capital expense due to the relatively low value of it. i.e. it's not 'material'. Usually questions like that come with information regarding what the minimum cost would have to be for an item to be considered a capital expense.

(Not long finished studying AP1, yet to take the test)
  • topcat
    topcat Registered Posts: 452
    Options
    steve2008 wrote: »
    imo, it would depend on the business and their use of the materiality concept.

I imagine most businesses would not bother considering a chair as a capital expense due to the relatively low value of it. i.e. it's not 'material'. Usually questions like that come with information regarding what the minimum cost would have to be for an item to be considered a capital expense.

(Not long finished studying AP1, yet to take the test)

thanks Steve , you have reminded me of the material concept which i completely forgot about . There was nothing in this question to outline the minimum cost but i think you are correct.
  • Kris1990
    Kris1990 Registered Posts: 52 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi topcat

At work we have a capital limit of £5,000 so anything over £5,000 is classed as capital with a few exceptions (maintenance contracts etc) and anything under £5,000 is classed as revenue, the same will apply here.
  • blackviper90210
    blackviper90210 Registered Posts: 25 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I would list it as office equipment.

We list anything over £1000 as an asset, but we are a smallish company. :001_smile:
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Options
    This is where the concept of materiality is all relative. For our clients (mainly sole traders and small ltd cies) the limit is set at £250....
  • Spamkebab
    Spamkebab Registered Posts: 233 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Maybe Assets should be classed ie, working class assets capitalised over £250, middle class assets capitalised over £1000 and upper class assets capitalised over £5000 lol.
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Options
    Spamkebab wrote: »
    Maybe Assets should be classed ie, working class assets capitalised over £250, middle class assets capitalised over £1000 and upper class assets capitalised over £5000 lol.

....or split it in 7 categories according to the latest studies on British classes!
  • Spamkebab
    Spamkebab Registered Posts: 233 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Lol Marie
Privacy Policy