BGT exam on Monday.. Please advice

Options
littlemissme
littlemissme Registered Posts: 21 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi Guys,

I have taken a year off my studies and I have decided to pursue my studies now as I only have 3 units left to complete AAT (BGT, FNST and FNPF) and I would like to start studying CIMA this Sept. I have started self-studying for budgeting a week ago and I am just wondering if the exam is similar to the practice assessments on AAT website?

Thanks!

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hello littlemissme

The exams may be similar in content, however to be more certain of a pass I would recommend that a thorough knowledge of the syllabus and the application of what you learn is far more important that managing to pass the practice assessments.

A small piece of advice, if you haven't decided what order to complete the last three modules I recommend budgeting be studied before financial performance and financial statements before or after the other two.

Good luck.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • liveprincess
    liveprincess Registered Posts: 214 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    i sat bgt 2 weeks ago and it was very similar to the practice assessments
  • littlemissme
    Options
    Thank you Jo and liveprincess. I have my BGT exam tomorrow at 9am, FNPF on 22nd May and FNST by the end of June.

I have studied the syllabus but I didn't have much time to revise as I was only self-studying and working all day in accounts makes me mentally tired so I find it hard to revise in the evening. I am so nervous for the exam, it's been ages since I last sat one and I have to travel an hour and a half to the exam centre.

I really want to finish AAT soon. I super regret putting my studies on hold for a long time :(
  • Morpheus1980
    Morpheus1980 Registered Posts: 120 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    How did the exam go this morning, littlemissme?

It's admirable that you wish to complete three units in order to start CIMA this September, but is there any reason why you wish to start so soon? You say that you regret putting your studies on hold for so long but I think there's quite a few of us on here that have taken longer than average to complete the AAT qualification (8 years for me!)

I would give you the same advice that Jo has given, above, in that you need to be comfortable with the syllabus before you attempt to take an exam. I'd hate for you to try and scrape through, using the practice assessments as a guide, only for you to find out 6 weeks later that you were not competent. I know this approach works for some people, but I would say that this is the exception to the rule, and that they were pretty lucky!

Unfortunately, as a self-studier myself, the only way to be confident in passing exams is to put the extra hours in after work and/or at weekends. I know you also say that you get mentally exhausted after working all day, but if you're studying CIMA, you're probably going to have to do at least a bit of studying a few days a week, in addition to your day job...probably a bit more than you're used to with AAT.

I'm not trying to put you off, I just wanted to let you know that I was in the same boat as you. Putting the extra work in now will pay off once you get those 'competent' marks, believe me. It's just a little price you have to pay to get the results you want, and it is so worth it in the end.

I wish you all the very best of luck, and hope that you did well in your exam this morning.
  • littlemissme
    Options
    Hi Morpheus,

Thank you for your relpy.

The exam was ok, I'd like to think so anyway. i still have more than an hour left on the clock when I finished.

I started studying for AAT Feb 2008 (alongside with my GCSE) but I had to take a year off cos I couldn't afford it then went on and off studying and prioritised my work. I think the reason why I regret it is because I could have made more effort in the past 2 years to finish the course but hey at least I have my motivation back to complete AAT.

I attended my Level 4 in the college 1 and a half years ago but i didn't have the time to attend all the classes and take the exam as I my work was an hour away from the College and I had huge responsibility in the company so I always stayed in the office longer than normal. That may also be the reason why self-studying for the remaining units is my best option as I only need to refresh what I've learned before.

Thank you very much for your advice; it's very much appreciated.
Privacy Policy