Extended Trial Balance

Options
Sherriemarie001
Sherriemarie001 Registered Posts: 5 Regular contributor ⭐
.Does any body have any tips on extended trial balance? I done my level 2 in classes and understood everything, I am doing Level 3 diploma in distant learning and I am struggling to get my head around extended trial balances, any suggestions? PLEASE HELP as I cant move on from this until I have this subject figured out. Many Thanks Sherrie

Comments

• Clintm15
    Clintm15 Registered Posts: 248 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Sherrie,

The extended trial balance works in very much the same way as the trial balance except that there are a few adjustments to make after which you can then separate out the entries that belong to the balance sheet and which belong to the income statement.

I can give a more detailed answer if you want to ask a more specific question.

Kind regards
    Clint
    AAT
    Level 2 - 2011
    Level 3 - 2012
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA
    F4 - Corporate Law - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F5 - Performance Management - Dec 2014 (passed)
    F6 - Taxation - Dec 2013 (passed)
    F7 - Financial Reporting - Jun 2014 (passed)
    F8 - Audit & Assurance - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F9 - Financial Management - Jun 2015 (passed)
  • cazalino
    cazalino Registered Posts: 44 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    All i can suggest is that you keep doing them over and over and you will start to remember what goes where.

The Income Statement will show the Income and Expense figures and the Statement of Financial Position will show the Assets and Liabilities so as long as you know what category everything falls under then you can move them to the the correct column
  • Sherriemarie001
    Sherriemarie001 Registered Posts: 5 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thank you very much... as I am doing this from home i find it quite hard being a full time mam and working full time but getting there i think.... xz
  • Kelly7
    Kelly7 Registered Posts: 218 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hiya

I started off by going down the bottom and adding on anything that needs to be like depreciation, accruals, pre-payments etc, then make your adjustments, then going down the list and putting I.S if it was income or expense and SFP if it was an asset or liability and transferring across.

xxxx
  • goldfinger
    goldfinger Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi Sherrie
    I've been battling with the ETB myself, but really feel I've turned a corner now. I'm self-studying with the Osborne books. At the chapter-end exercises they give you a TB and some adjustments to add in to make an ETB. Problem was, although I had printed out a downloaded template, it took so long to fill out the tiny boxes and then add them all up that the inevitable errors were hard to spot and so messy to correct that the whole thing ended up a confusing jumble.
    So I made a simple ETB spreadsheet in Excel, entered the info from the TB and, crucially, had the spreadsheet do all the column addition. So, for each exercise when I open the file, all the info from the TB is there, and all I have to do is enter the adjustments correctly. This has helped immeasurably - it's tidy, no maths errors, no writer's cramp! When I've finished the exercise I delete the adjustments, saving the starting info for next time.
    Don't give up!
    Goldfinger
  • CeeJaySix
    CeeJaySix Registered Posts: 645
    Options
    May or may not work for you, but the easiest way I find to think about it is simply that the first column is the information your 'client' supplies you with, the adjustments column consists of your journals for stock movement, accruals & prepayments, depreciation etc, and the final column is then the financial statements for the 'clients' accounts. A lot of the techniques in all units seem far easier to understand if you take them out of the textbook setting and try to apply them to the real world.
Privacy Policy