Helping Employee with Self Improvement Training Fees

Carole Registered Posts: 57 ? ? ?
I work for a construction firm. One of our labourers is planning to do an HNC in Construction Managment from Sept for his own self improvement. He will pay his own course fees.

As is employer our company will receive a grant from the Construction Industry Training Board even though we are not paying the course fees. We would like to pass this grant onto our employee.

Is there a way of doing this outside the payroll system so he and us do not suffer tax/NI deductions?

To be more precise with figures, his course fees are £3750 and we will receive £2135 as the grant which we would like to pass on.

Thank you


  • stevef
    stevef Registered Posts: 258 ? ? ?
    Could the firm pay for the course (using the grant) and ask for a contribution from the employee for the balance?
  • Carole
    Carole Registered Posts: 57 ? ? ?
    He plans to get a student loan and I'm not sure he would get that if we paid the course fees.
Privacy Policy