Spreadsheets - excel for mac

Options
JaffasGirl
JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hello all :)

I'm hoping to complete the spreadsheets project next and I just wondered if anyone else had used excel for mac to practice?

I use excel at work so I can use that to confirm the usual layout, but wondered if the mac version had sufficient functionality for this exam? Just so I can practice some of the slightly more complex tasks such as pivot tables.

Thanks

Comments

• Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    Options
    I'd be more worried about the actual version of Excel being used. I'd not used the most recent version of Excel as previously, new versions tended to be very similar to the previous ones, and I've been able to switch between them with no problems. I use a Mac at home and a PC at work and find them very similar. However, when I sat my spreadsheets exam, the centre used the most up to date version of Excel which is the biggest change between versions I've seen. It did throw me a bit as the menus are different so everything took me a bit longer to do. I've been using Excel for years and barely notice which version I'm using so it never really crossed my mind to check which version the centre were using for the exam.
  • JaffasGirl
    Options
    Thanks, but I wanted to know so I knew whether the mac version would be a worthwhile investment as I don't really use excel at home, and would only really need it for this unit.

I have heard stories about the different versions being used, we have some computers being installed with the newer version at work so it shouldn't be a problem to get some exposure before the exam.

When you say you change between the two would you say that you the functionality is the same?
  • Nps
    Options
    I switch between the Mac and Windows versions regularly and whilst using them probably couldn't tell you which was which, so yes, very similar, maybe even identical? As I say, I also switch between actual versions regularly and barely notice the difference (apart from the latest version). But I do adapt to slightly different layouts well and know excel inside out so know how to do most things in a different of couple ways without really thinking about it. Perhaps someone who is less confident and likes things to look identical, or only know how to do things one way, may notice more differences and disagree with me.
  • Nps
    Options
    Can't you get a 30 day free trial of Office from somewhere? You then either just remove it or pay for the full version at the end. Would be long enough to practice on without having to actually buy it if you're never likely to use it at home again.
  • Nps
    Options
    A months free trial of Office for Mac.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/free-trial-microsoft-office-and-office-365-products-FX102858196.aspx?WT%2Emc%5Fid=MSCOM%5Fen%2Dus%5FMac%5FBuyPg%5Flearn&WT%2Eintid1=ODC%5FENUS%5FFX102853961%5FXT103927624

However it did remind me that you cannot get the latest version of Excel for Mac yet. I think it is the 2011 version for Mac and the 2013 version for PC's. I can't remember off the top of my head which versions I have on my Mac and my Windows laptop, but if you want me to check for a specific function on my Mac version, just say and I'll have a look. (Edit - I've just looked and I have Excel 2008 for Mac)

Anyway, all this talk has triggered lots of memories of using Excel on my Mac to study for the spreadsheet exam. Everything you need to know for the exam is definitely achievable on the Mac version. The only very slight issue I had was one task where I had to download an extra bit from the Internet (you probably know that when you install Office on any computer, it only downloads the most common functions to save hard drive space and then if you ever try to use one of the more advanced features, it directs you to the link to download it). I couldn't download the bit I needed but that was due to my copy of Office having been corrupted rather than anything else. It was only a very minor thing anyway so I just read the instructions in the book to ensure I knew how to do it. So, yes, Mac Excel will cover everything you need but depending on the original download, you may need to download a couple of extra bits (but this would be the case with the Windows versions too).
  • JaffasGirl
    Options
    That's fantastic, thank you so much!

Yes, would much rather use a free version for a month than having to pay for something I probably won't use again! Besides the AAT unit itself will be expensive enough without adding £100 for excel!

Thanks
Privacy Policy