Personal Tax HELP!!!

Options
Jade95
Jade95 Registered Posts: 50 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi all

Just a quick question which may sound silly but I do not know the answer. :/

For the 3 installments to pay your tax how much do you actually pay on these three occasions?

So the 3 installments are;
Jan in tax year
July after tax year
Jan after tax year

Thought I better ask this question as I have my exam nest Thursday and a question like this was on the practice assessment online.

Thank you in advance. :)

Jade

Comments

• Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    Options
    Hi,

Assuming its not the first year of trading, the first 2 instalments are both 50% of last years total bill. Therefore in a perfect world with constant yearly profits, there would be no remaining balance to pay in the final January, however in practice there is likely to be a under/over payment to deal with.

And of course, in that final January payment you are also paying the first instalment of the current years payment (which will be 50% of the total bill you've just dealt with).

I can demonstrate with numbers if I've just confused you even more.
  • torresgbr
    torresgbr Registered Posts: 38 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi Jade
    I did the exam 4 weeks ago and it had multiple years we had to calculate. As NPS said one Jan Payment may include 2
    payments.
    Good Luck for Thursday
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Options
    Hi,
    agree with Nps1976;
    For example you pay in January 2013 the final balance for the tax due in 2012 + 1st POA for tax due in 2013 (50% of 2012 tax bill).
  • Jade95
    Options
    Hi

Can anyone demonstrate this with numbers please so I can understand clearly. A question with multiple years would also be helpful.

Thank you

Jade
  • Nps
    Options
    Take a Jan-Dec year.
    Year ending 2000 - tax due £1200
    Year ending 2001 - tax due £1500
    Year ending 2002 - tax due £1800

Let's assume the 1999 year resulted in £1000 tax to pay.

Jan 2000 - £500 (50% of last years bill) (but remember any extra 1999 balancing payment would also be due
    July 2000 - £500 (50% of last years bill)

Jan 2001 - The balancing payment of £200 (1200 - 500 - 500) to clear the year 2000 bill, plus £600 (50% of last years £1200 bill) to start off this year
    Jul 2001 - £600 (50% of last years bill)

Jan 2002 - £300 balancing payment to clear the 2001 bill, plus £750 (50% of last years £1500 bill)
    Jul 2002 - £750 (50% of last years bill)

Now you try the Jan and Jul 2003 payments.........
  • Jade95
    Options
    Ok so...

Jan 2003 would include a balancing payment of £300 to clear 2002 bill of £1800 and £900 to start of this year.

July 2003 would be £900.

Is that correct!!
  • Nps
    Options
    Don't know what you're worrying about! You've got it.
  • Jade95
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your help that explained why I got in wrong in the practice assessment.

As I don't think we went over this in class, which is a bit bad, so I thought you had to split the tax amount between 3 for each instalment. XD

Thanks again.

Jade
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi Jade

Don't forget if they through Capital Gains into the equation you can not pre pay that you make a full payment in the final payment .

Good luck

I have mine in 2 weeks
  • Jade95
    Options
    Hi

Thank you for that extra bit of information.

Good luck for when you take the exam.

Jade
Privacy Policy