icas / icis

Options
Kelly7
Kelly7 Registered Posts: 218 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
Hi
Thought id post this & get the opinion of people who have done or are doing it.

I had my final class at college yday and was told id passed my level 3 and had a talk on level 4 but the report called icas or icis(?) Which we were being told about seemed really confusing.

I was hoping someone on here could explain a bit about what you have to do, if you found it difficult & how long approx it takes?

I was quite up for level 4 before but now it seems a lot harder than I was thinking :(

Xxx

Comments

• Flosspot
    Flosspot Registered Posts: 23 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi Kelly,

ICAS is basically a written, essay style project. You can use your workplace, or if you prefer (or don't have one) you can use a scenario that the AAT provides.

You have to assess and make recommendations for improvements on the accounting system (or an element of it).

The thought of it is far worse than actually doing it in my opinion. You are given 4 months to complete the scenario. I spent 3 months flapping about it and getting all in a tizz. Then 3 weeks of probably 3-4 hours getting my head around it. Then a week for my tutor to look at it before a quick final tweak. Once I had made a start I realised I had wasted 3 months procrastinating and worrying when it really isn't that bad.

Don't let it put you off level 4!
  • James Patterson
    James Patterson Registered Posts: 281
    Options
    Hey Kelly,

ICAS is just a report based on an accounting function within your company (I completed mine on extended imprest accounts).

The hardest part about it is working out what you want to write a report on. I looked at all the criteria and and then did a little brainstorm to find out whats easiest to write a report on.

Once i knew what to write about it took me about 3/4 hours to do my first draft, then with a little bit of tweaking needed for a final draft i was done - Ended up writing 18 pages, even though i couldn't get it started.

Hope this helps :)
  • Kelly7
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think that will be the main issue for me really, thinking about what would actually need improving :/.
    Xxxx
  • James Patterson
    James Patterson Registered Posts: 281
    Options
    Kelly7 wrote: Β»
    Thanks guys. I think that will be the main issue for me really, thinking about what would actually need improving :/.
    Xxxx

Well its meant to be based on something which might be practically improved by your suggestions in your report.

I work for CEC council so this was unlikely at best, so i think its not necessary that it is going to be improved, but just go with whats easiest to write about.

Feel free to message me if you want some more guidance :)
  • Kelly7
    Options
    Aww, thanks James. I imagine most people must have a problem finding something to write about as surely if there was improvements to be made in a company then they would have been made already. Once you do have an idea though, you write it with how would improve it and the cost to make these changes, can't see how it will take 3000 - 4000 words to write that? I am guessing there is more to it and I should probably just stop stressing and wait until I return to college. I'm sure the teachers will be able to tell us more Nd give us some help / guidance.
    Xxx
  • Malcolm Green
    Malcolm Green Registered Posts: 105 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Ki Kelly,

I think you will find when you start to really get into your ICAS project, keeping it within the range of around 4,000 words may be the fun part.

As this is a business report you will be looking at a number of factors in the presentation of your case and recommendations put forward for improvements to the business and as part of this analysis and formal layout of the report, this is where you will find you will have to be mindful of your overall word count..

To help get you ready for when you start your ICAS project the AAT have produced a useful report writing guide to give you a better understanding of how the report should be structured.

If you PM me with your email address I will send you a copy of the PDF version of this guide for you to have a look at.

Also you will find a number of other ICAS resources on the main AAT website if you follow the link: https://www.aat.org.uk/training/study-support/search and then select level 4 ICAS

I trust this information will be of assistance.
  • sonya11
    sonya11 Registered Posts: 27 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I would have found it really hard to write about the company I work for so just opted to do mine on a case study provided by AAT. This was in my opinion the easier option as there are obvious issues that need addressing.
  • Kelly7
    Options
    Thank you Malcolm, I've messaged you, and thanks Sonya, I might have a look at those. Xxx
  • Malcolm Green
    Malcolm Green Registered Posts: 105 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Hi Kelly, just sent you a copy of the AAT ICAS Report Writing Guide.
Privacy Policy