Uncooperative Past Accountant

Laura8192
Laura8192 Registered Posts: 95 Epic contributor 🐘
I have a new client and applied to the previous accountants for professional clearance and the usual information at the beginning of May. Although my clients Accounts are not due until December, he would like to have them finalised ASAP so he knows how much Corp Tax he is having to pay etc.

Despite him calling and emailing the previous accountants several times, and me chasing too, we have not heard from the accountant at all.

I can piece together a TB from last years accounts (which I have done) but my client says he didn't have any debtors or creditors at year end, and there are over £30k of creditors and £20k of debtors in the accounts. They are not broken down into accruals, prepayments etc, all just under sundry creditors and trade debtors.

I just don't know what to do next, except to keep chasing the previous accountant. Anyone got any ideas?
thank you.

Comments

• jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Laura8192 wrote: »
    I have a new client and applied to the previous accountants for professional clearance and the usual information at the beginning of May. Although my clients Accounts are not due until December, he would like to have them finalised ASAP so he knows how much Corp Tax he is having to pay etc.

Despite him calling and emailing the previous accountants several times, and me chasing too, we have not heard from the accountant at all.

I can piece together a TB from last years accounts (which I have done) but my client says he didn't have any debtors or creditors at year end, and there are over £30k of creditors and £20k of debtors in the accounts. They are not broken down into accruals, prepayments etc, all just under sundry creditors and trade debtors.

I just don't know what to do next, except to keep chasing the previous accountant. Anyone got any ideas?
    thank you.

My first thought would be to warn the accountant that you'll make a complaint to his professional body, assuming he's a member of one?

If he's completely unqualified then it's a little trickier, but hopefully he is and you can stick a rocket up his... I mean, you can hurry him up by making the threat. Of course, if the threat doesn't work, then actually go ahead and make the complaint.

Unless, of course, there is a valid reason that he's exercising a lien over the records and information, such as unpaid fees by your client?
  • Laura8192
    Thank you for the advice, it is a large accountancy firm but looking on their website they are not linked to any professional bodies from what I can see. I will give them a ring tomorrow, see if I can get some answers that way. So far I have written to them, and emailed them and my client has emailed and left countless messages, they have not returned his calls.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    If they are local I would pop in and see them. Face to face sometimes works. Failing that, a phone call. If they are not a member of a professional body it is difficult. If they do not show any links to a professional body, perhaps a phone call to ask what professional body they are affiliated to could be the answer.
  • Laura8192
    They are not local, they are around 200 miles away. They are not a member of any professional body. I found a link on the internet that said the owner used to be a member of ICAEW and resigned. They also have no PII.... (not that that's relevant, just interesting I thought)

I just don't know how I can go forward with my client accounts without the creditors and debtors breakdowns. Payments/receipts early in the year don't tally to the totals, I have tried that.

I wouldn't mind, but I had to convince this client that he didn't need a chartered accountant to do his Limited Co accounts, then I find out his old accountant isn't even a member of a professional body!
  • Laura8192
    I forwarded my emails to an info@.... web address for the company and am finally speaking to someone who is responding to emails, hopefully I will have the info I need soon fingers crossed! She was very apologetic. May have got my original contact into trouble, oh well they should have responded to me in the first place!
Privacy Policy