ICAS Assistance

Options
willjb15
willjb15 Registered Posts: 11 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi Guys,

In my feedback from my second submission i have the following:

The layout and section numbering do not meet the AAT recommended format.
- The section numbering i have used is 1.1 1.2 1.3 for each sub section and once i have started a new main section i then use 2.1 2.2 2.3.

Can anyone explain if i am doing it incorrectly as i thought this was how it was mean't to be numbered?

Thanks in advance.

Will

Comments

• LisaB
    LisaB Registered Posts: 6 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi,

have you been using a mapping document?

I numbered all my paragraphs and then added the numbers to the mapping document next to the relevant assessment criteria.
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    willjb15 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

In my feedback from my second submission i have the following:

The layout and section numbering do not meet the AAT recommended format.
    - The section numbering i have used is 1.1 1.2 1.3 for each sub section and once i have started a new main section i then use 2.1 2.2 2.3.

Can anyone explain if i am doing it incorrectly as i thought this was how it was mean't to be numbered?

Thanks in advance.

Will

May seem like a silly question but have you checked what the AAT's recommended format is? It could be because your sections are incorrect.
  • willjb15
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I have and the AAT document states a 1.1,1.2,1.3. However, this is "incorrect" according to my feedback.
    Ive re submitted it with a comment regarding this and shall see how i go.

Thanks,
  • coojee
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I have and the AAT document states a 1.1,1.2,1.3. However, this is "incorrect" according to my feedback.
    Ive re submitted it with a comment regarding this and shall see how i go.

Thanks,

What I meant was, is your Section 1 the Terms of Reference, Section 2 the Executive Summary, Section 3 the Methodology, Section 4 the Introduction etc
  • willjb15
    Options
    coojee wrote: »
    What I meant was, is your Section 1 the Terms of Reference, Section 2 the Executive Summary, Section 3 the Methodology, Section 4 the Introduction etc

1.1 is for introduction should 1.1 be terms of reference and then follow on from there?
  • coojee
    Options
    1.1 is for introduction should 1.1 be terms of reference and then follow on from there?

Well in theory it doesn't have to follow the AAT's suggestion but as your tutor has mentioned the AAT's structure it sounds like that's what they're driving at. In the AAT's guidelines Section 1 is the Terms of Reference and all sub paras; 1.1, 1.2 etc will all be sub sections of Terms of reference. Then you move on Section 2 the executive summary but you can't do this til the end. Section3 is the Methodolgy, Section 4 is the Introduction, you'll have a lot of sub paras in this and the rest of the sections. So you'll have 4.1 but if there's more than one point that you want to make in para 4.1 you'll have to number each sub point as 4.1.1, 4.1.2 etc
  • Malcolm Green
    Malcolm Green Registered Posts: 105 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi Will,

Your numbering method is correct.

However for this report as stipulated in the AAT guidelines each new section should also be on a new page.

As this is a new section like a chapter in a book this would then move on a level.

For the actual numbering format you would use:

1 For the title of the section to be covered ie Terms of Reference

1.1 For your opening paragraph (these would all be indented)

1.2 For your further development points etc.

1.2.1 Would be used for sub paragraphs if you need to develop further a theme/point you are discussing. (these would be indented again)

To help give you a better idea what this would look like I have attached for you an example of a report layout we have been using in our student revision workshops.

Attachment not found.

To help save paper we did not start each section on a new page.

You may also like to have a look at the AAT report writing guide under the ICAS resources available on this link: https://www.aat.org.uk/training/study-support/search

I trust this information will be of assistance and should be an easy fix for you to complete your ICAS project.
Privacy Policy