Transferring to AQ2013

Options
Devlin
Devlin Registered Posts: 24 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi, does anyone know how I would go about transferring from AQ2010 to AQ2013?

So far I've passed 5 of the 7 exams at level 3, with just Cash Management and Costs & Revenues still to complete. And seeing as there's no cash management equivalent for AQ2013 it seems like a wise move to transfer to the new format to avoid sitting an exam I don't really need to?

I'm not sure how I'd go about doing this though as it's self studying I'm doing, so I don't have a training provider to facilitate this for me. Does anyone know how to go about making this happen?

Comments

• Nie
    Nie Registered Posts: 12 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Except that in AQ2013 the PEAF module is a project rather than an exam so you might have to do some sort of transitional assessment for that.
  • Devlin
    Options
    yeah that's true, but that still sounds like a fair exchange. I'd be curious to find out what that transitional assessment would involve, but I'm guessing it would require less studying than the AQ2010 Cash Management exam.
  • Vlee
    Vlee Registered Posts: 136 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Are you with a provider? BPP and Kaplan have advice on this issue on their websites. They may advise even if you are only taking exams with them. Otherwise give AAT a call. The new syllabus won't be available until September and some exams won't be ready for a while longer so staying on the current syllabus may not be a bad thing. Plus cash management may be useful for your learning for future study or work. Personally I don't fancy the PEAF project at all so I'm sitting the CBA in a couple of weeks to ensure I stay on the current syllabus.
  • ackeeandsaltfish
    ackeeandsaltfish Registered Posts: 11 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Cash Management will be a bit more enhanced in L4 albeit a Choice decision as it incorporates credit man. PEAF will now be a computer project based exam, ICAS will now incorporate Ethics and sustainability.
    You will find Cash Management will help you tie in FNP AND Budgeting
  • Devlin
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm not studying with a provider at the moment, I'm just buying the books (Osborne) then sitting the exams at a local Kaplan centre. From reading the material from BPP and Kaplan it appears that BPP would recommend for someone in my position to transfer to AQ2013 and sit a short transitional assessment. While the Kaplan information recommends staying on AQ2010 if PEAF has already been completed.

I'll be phoning up in the next couple of weeks to book myself in for the Costs & Revenues exam, so will be sure to ask them what my options are. As much as I love studying lol, I'm pretty keen to sit the one less exam if its in anyway possible!
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Devlin wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm not studying with a provider at the moment, I'm just buying the books (Osborne) then sitting the exams at a local Kaplan centre. From reading the material from BPP and Kaplan it appears that BPP would recommend for someone in my position to transfer to AQ2013 and sit a short transitional assessment. While the Kaplan information recommends staying on AQ2010 if PEAF has already been completed.

I'll be phoning up in the next couple of weeks to book myself in for the Costs & Revenues exam, so will be sure to ask them what my options are. As much as I love studying lol, I'm pretty keen to sit the one less exam if its in anyway possible!

If you're self studying who would you get to assess the transitional assessment? It's not going to be like the current assessments, it's going to be a case of providing various different forms of evidence to satisfy the assessor that you are competent. More like the old style NVQ portfolio evidence. Some centres may devise their own assessments to cover the extra work but I'd think long and hard before you make a final decision as I suspect it may be harder than you think to complete the transitional assessment as a self studier.
  • Devlin
    Options
    coojee wrote: »
    If you're self studying who would you get to assess the transitional assessment? It's not going to be like the current assessments, it's going to be a case of providing various different forms of evidence to satisfy the assessor that you are competent. More like the old style NVQ portfolio evidence. Some centres may devise their own assessments to cover the extra work but I'd think long and hard before you make a final decision as I suspect it may be harder than you think to complete the transitional assessment as a self studier.

That's a fair point, I'm sure Kaplan would probably assess the transitional assessment, but at a cost. When I sat the SPSW exam, there was a £50 admin fee on top of the £50 exam fee. So if was the same cost for the transitional assessment, that may be enough to put me off by itself. Also as you say, as a self studier it may be hard (or even impossible) to find out what the exact content of the transitional assessment may be.

I'll have to speak to them on the phone and see exactly what the options are but I suspect you're right, that it's not really a viable option.
  • Vlee
    Vlee Registered Posts: 136 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Plus you may have to wait months before the new transitional assessment goes live. Stay on the dark side and we will all get through cash management together ;)
  • Jules18
    Jules18 Registered, Tutor Posts: 102 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    There is still some discussion over the transitional PEAF. The AAT is suggesting that each centre writes its own PEAF transitional assessment - which sounds OK - except that they all have to be submitted to the AAT for approval before they can be used. This means that there could be literally hundreds of different assessments written across the AAT world.

I understand that the feeling at Regional Meetings is that rather than all the colleges/providers spending time and resources submitting many different transitional assessments which may or may not be approved first time that the AAT design one simple assessment as they did with the supplementary assessments for WEAF. Coupled with this thought is the fact the AAT are being paid to accredit therefore they could use some of their resources to develop the assessment.

Hope this helps

Jules

(Not very well known)
  • Devlin
    Options
    It does help Jules, it's good to get some clarification on what the situation is at the moment.

I phoned up Kaplan (Glasgow office) to find out their next exam dates and asked them what my options were regarding switching over to AQ2013 and their position was that nothing is in place yet regarding a transitional exam. So looks like I'll be staying on the "dark side" Vlee, as I'm really just wanting to get through the exams as quick as possible.

I guess the question is now, for myself and others in the same position: Should I hurry up to get started with the tried and trusted AQ2010 level 4 or take my time and start level 4 after the start of September and be a guinea pig for the new qualification. I'll need to have a good think about that one!
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Devlin

Don't rush... September is not that far off and although you may be a guinea pig, I am sure that the new assessments etc. will be well tested etc. as lessons will have been learnt when they transferred to AQ10 and introduced the CBAs etc.

Good luck with which ever path you choose.

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Devlin
    Options
    Cheers JC, I'm leaning towards holding off for the new assessments, but there's still a good few weeks left to decide, so plenty of time to think about it.
Privacy Policy