Job interviews at long last.

Options
omega man
omega man Registered Posts: 283
After not having any interviews for over a year i now have two lined up.
One Monday which is not accounts related but only 5 mins from where i live.
Second on Wednesday which is full time accounts at a school in Birmingham, i wish they were the other way round, but hey i am not complaining but knowing me i will get neither job.

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Congratulations omega man :o

If you need any help with preparing for either (especially the latter) let me know... have also sent a pm to you!

Keep us posted.
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Kelly7
    Kelly7 Registered Posts: 218 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Ahh keep positive. How long would it take you to get the school in Bham? X
  • omega man
    Options
    My guess it is a train and bus so about 2hrs each way. However i have been to interview for first job today and it is a zero hour contract which is a real put off. They do seem to offer the hours though after training at least to start with, how it goes after that is anyones guess.
    The job is only as a taxi base operator working shifts anyway so no exp necessary.
    They said they would contact me if i was successful and if i have heard nothing in 2 weeks i did not get the job.
    So now preparing for School interview on Wednesday.
  • Jo Clark
    Options
    omega man wrote: »
    However i have been to interview for first job today and it is a zero hour contract which is a real put off.

In the news today...

UK's hidden 1m workers on zero hours contracts: Number is four times more than previous estimate

Cable warns of exploitation of zero-hours contracts
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23570345

Good luck with the school based job interview.
    Benjamin Franklin
  • omega man
    Options
    Well i did not get the accounts position 5 were shortlisted for interview i was number 4.
    The non-accounting position i got the impression that they would contact me when they felt like it and needed someone.
    I have arranged for cancellation of my AAT membership, as being on benefits does make this cost effective to pay.
  • Sam22
    Sam22 Registered Posts: 117 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Stick in there Omega man. I completely understand how frustrating it is to be doing all the studying and not getting any interviews.

My advice would be to put aside maybe 1 or 2 evenings a week to just search and search and search the internet for any finance related role you can find and apply. Spend some time on a covering letter that makes you stand out and makes the employer/recruiter want to meet you. Keep a log of everything you apply for and make a follow up call a couple of days after your application. I found that if I wasn't suitable on paper for the job I'd applied for, after speaking with a recruiter on the phone they put me forward for a similar role. Ring the agencies every week to see if they have anything suitable, the more contact you have with them, the more they get to know you, the more likely it is they'll put you forward to their client.

I decided to start looking for work in April this year and it took me 3 solid months religiously applying for everything and anything that I thought would give me a foot in the door. I lived, breathed, slept job applications to the point I was waking in the middle on the night panicking that I hadn't sent off enough applications that day. I even used GumTree to advertise myself - which I surprisingly got a few responses from.

It's EXTREMELY competitive out there and you have to do everything you can to make yourself stand out from the competition. It's hard work, but all hard work pays off eventually.
  • Jo Clark
    Options
    omega man wrote: »
    I have arranged for cancellation of my AAT membership, as being on benefits does make this cost effective to pay.

Don't forget you can pay by direct debit and spread the cost over 4 months :o

Keep searching for that accounting post omega man, it is out there somewhere waiting for you!
    Benjamin Franklin
Privacy Policy