CIMA - Advice required

Options
wannabebean
wannabebean Registered Posts: 72 Regular contributor ⭐
Hello

I have done my last AAT exam (I hope! - Will need to wait on result)

If I am going on to CIMA, what am I excempt from? (I did PT and Credit Control as optional units)

Is anyone on this road already? Is CIMA a big step up from AAT?

Any help appreciated.

Thank You

Comments

• crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 466 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hello,

Having completed AAT levels 3 & 4 (Int. & Tech) will give you an exemption from the CIMA certificate level - you will therefore start on the Operational Stage (Papers P1/E1/F1). Having done the exact same, I found that having finished AAT gave me a great start particulary on papers F1 (was called P7 when I took it) and P1 where I had already covered a lot of ground.

The papers are more difficult - but you are only to score 50% to score a pass. You can have a look at some previous papers as below and see what you think.

http://www.cimaglobal.com/Students/Exam-preparation/Operational-level/

Go for it I say.
  • The Magician
    The Magician Registered Posts: 96 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Yep, I can confirm, it's a HUGE step-up.

I really found it quite depressing actually. Fair play to me though, I was completely self-studying.

People said to me "Oh F1, is like FNST with a lot of cross-over content". This is absolute lunacy, ignore these comments.

Time-pressured, volume of content, understanding, complexity, breadth of syllabus potentially assessed.

Examiners now have also been found of completely re-jigging the way the exam is set, so just studying past papers is less helpful than in the past.

I'm really just average intelligence so yes it is jolly hard. If you are highly intelligent (you know if you are) you may find it slightly less painful.

It would be really helpful if AAT would just release percentage marks on the L4 exams, then people can make a considered decision as to whether chartered studies is for them.

These are chartered exams though: so what can anyone expect?

The very apex of the profession.

Good luck,
  • Chris B
    Chris B Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi,

Yeah, as mentioned above you'll be exempt from the 5 certificate level papers, however, it's worth still having a look at those study books just to realise the difference between what AAT tought you and what CIMA certificate level candidates studied. I certainly found it useful.

For what it's worth, the AAT in my opinion covers financial accounting in more depth than CIMA's certificate & operational paper. Just be prepared for the enterprise pillar which AAT doesnt prepare you for at all.

In terms of level of difficulty, it certainly is, the level of difficulty of CIMA is taking you up to masters level, level 7, however don't be put off, as after being told I'd struggle to make the step up from AAT to CIMA, I managed to get through all exams first time. The big difference I experienced was that AAT had been taught over whole academic years at a college whilst CIMA was condensed into a handful of taught lessons at BBP.

But don't be daunted. At operational level 20 marks are available for multi choice which is a good confidence booster in the exam

If I can help with anything just drop me a message, I have PDF materials for all CIMA levels if you want any

Good luck
    Chris
  • The Magician
    The Magician Registered Posts: 96 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hey Chris,

Would you kindly throw some of those materials my way, please?

I have really struggled with CIMA.

Thanks very much!
  • Chris B
    Options
    Hey Chris,

Would you kindly throw some of those materials my way, please?

I have really struggled with CIMA.

Thanks very much!

Yeah no problem. What's your email address and what do you need?
  • littlemissme
    littlemissme Registered Posts: 21 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi,

Is it possible to complete CIMA through self-study as I don't have time to study in the evening and the local college don't offer weekend classes. I have just completed level 4 and I'm thinking of taking up CIMA, I think I will have to pay around £250 for the exemption so have to save up for this. Also, is CIMA exam works the same way as AAT that you can takewhenever you're ready or are there any specific dates?

Thanks!
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    There are set dates. The exams for operational and managerial level are paper based, and handwritten answers are required.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Chris B
    Options
    Hi,

Is it possible to complete CIMA through self-study as I don't have time to study in the evening and the local college don't offer weekend classes. I have just completed level 4 and I'm thinking of taking up CIMA, I think I will have to pay around £250 for the exemption so have to save up for this. Also, is CIMA exam works the same way as AAT that you can takewhenever you're ready or are there any specific dates?

Thanks!

Hi, it can be studied at home as I know people who have done it, I certainly couldn't learn that way but others have. As for the exam timings. CIMA hold exam sittings at set points in the year, if they're bit convenient, it's pretty much "tough," and you wait for the next sittings. November and May are the first sittings with resits timetabled at set times too.
Privacy Policy