Failed business tax :(

Options
MissJessRead
MissJessRead Registered Posts: 10 Regular contributor ā­
Devastated!! Passed every other exam first time except my last exam, business tax.
Actually makes me feel like I don't want to try again but I know I have to as the last three years would be wasted.
I just want some advice/thoughts really. I'm considering self teaching credit management instead and taking that exam as I pretty much self taught financial performance and passed it. I'm just not sure if I can fully grasp business tax on my own and as it will cost me quite a lot to resit with not being a student at the college I attend I don't really want to fail again.
So gutted as I really wanted my cap and gown this year :(
Any thoughts would be great. TIA x

Comments

• RyanKimbo
    RyanKimbo Registered Posts: 8 Regular contributor ā­
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your last exam :(

What subjects have you already taken and passed?

Have you taken Auditing? If not, consider that, very quick module imo.

Ryan.
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    Hello MissJessRead

I personally would stick at Business Tax. You have already studied the syllabus so would only need to revise/refresh before sitting the exam. Have you looked into sitting the exam at an alternative centre, it may not be as expensive as you think?

Have you received feedback on the Business Tax exam? This will help you identify areas of weakness and those to focus on in your revision etc.

If you decide to study an alternative module you will be starting from scratch.

Either way, there are lots of people here who are more than happy to help you with any questions during your studies :o

Good luck and do let us know what you decide.

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • MissJessRead
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.
    I have taken personal tax which I struggled on but passed and business tax. All the others I have passed first time.

I haven't had my feed back yet so perhaps if I wait till I receive that to decide whether to do tax again or start again. If I failed every topic within tax miserably then perhaps it may be a good idea to do a different subject.

So gutted. Can't believe I failed the last exam! :(

Thanks for your replies x
  • Jo Clark
    Options
    Hey, try not to let it get to you, easier said than done I know.

It could be that you were only a few marks away from passing so try not to beat yourself up... and you can always sit the exam again... that is what I am telling myself about my results... and I haven't even sat the exam yet!!! :001_tongue:

I am happy to help you on a one to one basis with business tax if you would like that, if so send me a PM. Can do this by email or telephone.

Out of interest, which text books are you using?
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Rachetman
    Rachetman Registered Posts: 57 Epic contributor šŸ˜
    Options
    Hey JR - What about the other optional units? Have you passed any of those? AFAIK, Business Tax is an optional unit, so you don't need to pass that to pass AAT.
  • MissJessRead
    Options
    Thanks JC.
    I've text my tutor to see if i can the feedback from her then i think i will go from there.
    What exam are you waiting to sit?
    I use the osborne books, however if i resit tax i think i might get a different one. When i was revising i think i did 5/6 past papers and the entire osborne work book and it clearly wasnt enough.
    I will let you know my choice once i get the feedback.

Rachetman, thats what i was thinking. Maybe doing Credit management as it may be easier than business tax. I dont know if i will be able to do Tax on my own.

I just need to find some sort of drive from somewhere now to complete it!
  • MissJessRead
    Options
    Hi,

I received my feedback from my tutor today (attached). It isnt great so am considering doing it with Kaplan instead in September. It will cost Ā£170 but i need to do it!
  • missm4ry4m
    missm4ry4m Registered Posts: 177 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    I took my Business Tax exam on the 3rd of July and I'm waiting for my result. I'm getting so frustrated now!!!
  • MissJessRead
    Options
    I imagine you'll have it Tuesday 13th. Good luck!! Horrible waiting isn't it.
    After receiving my feedback I'm definitely going to self teach a different module and sit that at the end if September. Nothing has been as hard as tax for me. So annoyed that I've failed one exam, I was aiming for a perfect record! Booooo!!! Ha!
  • missm4ry4m
    Options
    Oh no. I don't want to wait that long!!!

It's not that bad surely? Did you find the exam that hard? I actually enjoyed Business Tax!!! Lol
  • MissJessRead
    Options
    Well I found it harder than any other topic. I didn't mind personal tax but I think for me there was an element of just being fed up with revising. Plus we rushed business tax and finished the module a few days before the exam as we had issues with tutors. We didn't have time to revise at home and ask questions either so I think I may have slightly given up.
    I just found it a real effort to get my books out in the end and I stopped enjoying it.
    What I found hard was remember the different treatments for trading losses for example for different people like sole traders and companies etc. Got myself all confused!!
  • missm4ry4m
    Options
    I found the reliefs a bit tricky to be honest but the rest of the exam was okay so I'm hoping it's Competent!!!
  • missm4ry4m
    Options
    I just found out I failed too :(
  • Dahir Ahmed
    Dahir Ahmed Registered Posts: 63 Epic contributor šŸ˜
    Options
    missm4ry4m - gutted for you. Don't give up and do loads of practice.

Wish you all the best.
  • missm4ry4m
    Options
    I'm giving up now. I really can't be bothered anymore. Failing FNPF was bad enough :(
  • Jo Clark
    Options
    Don't give up missm4ry4m - you have come so far and are so close to completing it! Maybe a short break then back to it to complete :o
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Rachetman
    Rachetman Registered Posts: 57 Epic contributor šŸ˜
    Options
    Jo is right. You shouldn't give up. Besides, how many units (mandatory and optional) have you passed so far?
    Also, what is Business Tax like and how does it compare to Personal Tax? Is it more difficult than Personal Tax?
  • Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    Options
    Business Tax is much more difficult than personal tax (but there are some topics common to both of them, hence lots of people take them together). Many people find Business Tax an interesting module which goes some way to making up for the increase in difficulty!
  • missm4ry4m
    Options
    I've passed FNST, BGT & PTX. Struggling with ICAS, FNPF and now BTX!!
Privacy Policy