Seriously lacking motivation - what insipes you?

Laura8192
Laura8192 Registered Posts: 95 Epic contributor 🐘
I set up in practice in November 2012, and, whilst it has taken time, I now have 12 clients. I also work 4 days a week, I'm on a 12 month contract. The plan is, in 12 months time I'll have enough clients to give up employed work for good.

So far, things are going well, don't get me wrong, I have had a few weeks of working non-stop evenings and weekends, and that is hard, but the thought of my future and the business I am growing keeps me going.

But all of a sudden I have hit a massive stumbling block, I just have no motivation. At the moment, I have a few things on my "to-do" list but I just have no motivation to get them done, so my question is simple, what inspires you when you are feeling low?

Comments

• Antoinnette
    Antoinnette Registered Posts: 118 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi Laura,
    Hang in there:-) I set up in 2012 as well and I must admit there have been a few times when I have no motivation either. What has helped is being in contact with other MIPs who have been doing it much longer than me and taking in how they have grown their practice.And of course there is also the panic of clients needing their work and me not being able to provide it. I have nightmares about client's accounts (don't even ask) :001_tt2: Like you I used to work flat out and with three kids and studying for ATT as well it meant I had no social life whatsover, was constantly tired etc. But then I have met other MIPs who actually make time for other things and their advice has been that you need time to recharge to build a viable practice.
    I think working four days a week and building a practice is a killer though and if you have continous weeks of working non stop evening and weekends then your mind and body will need to rest. Is it possible to take a couple of days off and do absolutely nothing? Provided you don't have silly deadlines of course! If you are in London maybe we could meet for coffee or something otherwise find another MIP in your area who would like to meet and just have a chat. Its a difficult journey in the beginning and just sharing the challenges with someone else makes a lot of difference
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Those days still get me every now & then & they can be a killer. A few years ago I read a book called 'getting things done' which helped me in all sorts of ways but the basic gist of it is that you regularly maintain a list of EVERYTHING that needs doing (business & personal, big & small) which is organised in such a way that when you're lacking in motivation and enthusiasm you can pick up your list of 'non-urgent things to do which don't require much thinking/energy'. I find that if I have one of those days and don't do anything then I spend the next few days angry with myself for being unproductive, but if can can sit in front of the telly with a box of shredding and a big bar of chocolate then at least when I'm playing catch-up over the next few days i can look at my empty shredding box and feel like it wasn't a complete waste of a day!
    Other people will probably look at it in a different way but that's what works for me.
    And the days when you have urgent deadlines and no motivation, well that's just horrid: have a little cry, suck it up & get it done!
    Jodie
  • Laura8192
    thank you both of you, your words make sense and I know I just need to carry on....

I have a day off from work in 2 weeks, so might use that and the weekend there as a chill out time, it is hard as every spare minute that I am not at work, I am thinking about my business and my clients. I think I do need to take a break.

I do have a MIP who is a great help, she is my mentor and I couldn't be without her, but I don't want to keep bugging her, especially to just say I'm having a bad day! I'm going to a couple of branch events over the autumn so hopefully can meet more people there. I'm in the midlands, not London otherwise I'd love to have met up for a chat and a coffee.

I'm going to add the little things like filing and shredding to my to do list, I can do them as "easy jobs" when I'm not feeling up to much. Jodie, glad you have a "shredding box" too I thought I was the only one!
  • kellyp
    kellyp Registered Posts: 44 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hiya, I have days when I just cannot be bothered then feel guilty that I am feeling this way. then all of a sudden I am feeling OK about it all again.
    My way of dealing with this is when I am having an 'off' day, I just simply pick one task (a small, easy one) and get it done. That way you feel you have achieved something and can tick it off the list. It helps a little....
  • Laura8192
    I think I am just having more bad days than good at the moment. I cleaned my house from top to bottom yesterday, that helped, as I was feeling guilty it was getting messy as I didn't have time to do it. I am gradually ticking things off my to - do list, which is always good. I could really do with dropping my hours at work down to 3 days, but that isn't going to happen as I am doing maternity cover.... Maybe I'll start having a set day off every week, where I just do absolutely nothing!
  • Suejw
    Suejw Registered Posts: 39 Epic contributor 🐘
    I do think that it is important to find time for yourself as well. I reckon your idea of having one day off every week is a good one and might just be what you need to motivate you. Don't be too hard on yourself
  • Natsmomma
    Natsmomma Registered Posts: 39 Epic contributor 🐘
    This sounds very familiar to me too. Juggling family life, self employment, clients and household chores all within each day is a new skill to learn. There are times when you can find me cleaning windows and dusting rather than facing a balance sheet which won't balance!! I tend to do easy processing work, filing and shredding on days when my brain power is low, but when you are up against it, you do have just cry and bite the bullet as JodieR said.

I have a monthly To Do list, which gets broken down into achievable weekly lists. I then add on my personal To Do's onto the bottom. It is surprising how effective this can be and it is very self-satisfying to tick off the items as you complete them.

Finally, remember to take time out regularly. Some clients will expect a 24/7 service and in an absolute emergency, that's fine. However, answering emails the following day is perfectly acceptable. Letting the phone go to answer phone and then phoning back the following day is also perfectly acceptable. This is your business and your life, educate your clients gently!
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Is it just co-incidence that (so far) it's only girls on this thread??! Looks like them pesky hormones have a lot to answer for here!!
  • Laura8192
    Could be that us girls have to keep on top of the housework, cooking and cleaning, looking after the kids (if you have any) as well as running a business! Sure there are men out there that pull their weight, unfortunately my husband isn't one of them! I am having to educate him and he is (slowly) getting better!
  • BigJim
    BigJim Registered Posts: 14 Regular contributor ⭐
    at least he's limping in the right direction over against sprinting in the wrong direction!

In answer to your “what inspires you”, mine is the old saying that if the first thing you have to do each morning is to eat a live frog, you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing that it’s probably the worst thing you’ll have to do all day. So the frog is your biggest, nastiest most challenging task – the one you’re most likely to put off. I find gets you into a very positive mindset once it’s over and done with. And if you’ve got two frogs, eat the biggest and ugliest one first!!

Is that any help??! :001_smile:

and sorry for interfeing in your "girls thread" - blame on my lack of experience on this forum!
  • Laura8192
    I do like the mentality of getting the worst job over with first, its just easier to do the "easy" things and put off the thing that is playing on your mind....

This isn't a "girls thread" anymore nice to get a male perspective!
  • lor
    lor Registered Posts: 68 Epic contributor 🐘
    I work full time and have part time business, I work hard all day and try to be productive. I also like to take my full lunch break and leave to go home on time, as I also have a home to clean. But at work I am made to feel that I shouldn't leave on time or have a lunch break. These people generally talk a lot through-out the day and aren't so focused as myself. But I think I deserve my breaks and to go home to my re-treat on time as I feel more relaxed if I do this. It really upsets me to think I should be made to feel guilty. With out being sexist my colleagues are male, perhaps it is a male thing to not be so organised and not want to go home. Surely not..........But I can't believe that I am made to feel bad for working to my paid hours also. I need to leave on time to do my business also.

My to do list are normally personal which I write on a post it note and normally have it done by the end of the week and plan to just do one thing in my lunch break (another reason I need my breaks), and my business to do list is on a spreadsheet, I simply if I'm feeling low do sod all work on my business unless there is a deadline and wait until I feel ready for it. Also it really helps to have a clean home and tidy office before you start your work as it is stressful working in a messy atmosphere. Or type on here lmao!
  • Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    lor wrote: »
    I work full time and have part time business, I work hard all day and try to be productive. I also like to take my full lunch break and leave to go home on time, as I also have a home to clean. But at work I am made to feel that I shouldn't leave on time or have a lunch break. These people generally talk a lot through-out the day and aren't so focused as myself. But I think I deserve my breaks and to go home to my re-treat on time as I feel more relaxed if I do this. It really upsets me to think I should be made to feel guilty. With out being sexist my colleagues are male, perhaps it is a male thing to not be so organised and not want to go home. Surely not..........But I can't believe that I am made to feel bad for working to my paid hours also. I need to leave on time to do my business also.

Ah, my pet hate - the people who chat, gossip and surf the internet all day, then make a big thing of working late (particularly if overtime pay is available!) or moaning about how they are given too much work. I can't remember the number of times someone has commented on me going home on time yet I know I've done twice the amount of work they've done during the day. Unfortunately I've had my share of lazy managers who fall for it every time and just see them as 'going the extra mile' whereas their actual productivity is no where near those who managed their time effectively and actually got their work done during working hours.
  • lor
    lor Registered Posts: 68 Epic contributor 🐘
    you have hit the nail right on the head.........they even go on about they might have to come in early.....blah blah and ask if I would myself......I'm like no as I have the important things done....I never expect to have all my work done....you have to priotise your work....but the ones that say their gonna do something and spends all day saying so is annoying....I've been critised for keeping my head down and in the books doh.....that's the only way I'm gonna get my account's done....I've been promoted now to general manager but am being involved in the day to day running of the business. but still need my focus when doing the accounts.
Privacy Policy