Struggling with career progression

Options
nc82
nc82 Registered Posts: 33 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi Peeps,

I just wondered if anyone else who is MAAT qualified is struggling to progress there careers? I currently work in a senior accounts payable role working in public sector extremely bored and frustrated.

I have applied for various roles, Finance Officer, Accounts Assistant, Assistant Accountant and have obtained many interviews always falling at final hurdle. The interview feedback I request never materialises and I'm currently quite disheartened.

I have a burning desire to qualify as an chartered accountant but before I embark on more study(potentially self funded) I feel I must obtain a position maximising what I learnt doing AAT, I've never compiled aset of accounts start to finish always being on the fringe assisting at month end doing some nominal reconciliations, accruals&prepayments schedules, journal postings, sales and purchase analysis etc.

I have an interview for a Management Accountant vacancy on Tuesday any ideas on how to approach it? My CV is brutally honest yet i still get interviews for this type of vacancy the things I haven't done practically Im convinced i will pick up quickly as I have the fundamentals.

I think I keep being pipped to the post by proven experience! I'm a bit lost as to how to fill the gap in my knowledge if there really is a gap It could just be lack confidence.

All responses appreciated.

Comments

• Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    Options
    If I was you, I'd start studying for your chartered qualification. I'd never worked in accounts so had never used my AAT knowledge in a practical setting. I only attended 2 interviews but I was told in both that the fact that I had begun ACCA off my own back was a big positive and gave them a clear indication of what I wanted to achieve. Add this to your experience and you should be on to a winner.

I'm just going to throw something else in the mix, is there a chance that your interview technique is letting you down? You are getting lots of interviews so employers must like your CV and experience else they wouldn't invite you for interview. I know you say you are not getting feedback but I think this might be vital for you. Are you registered with any recruitment agencies? They will be able to do mock interviews, interview training etc and help you pin down why you are falling at the last hurdle.

I personally wouldn't delay any further studies purely because of feeling you haven't maximised your AAT knowledge yet, if you know that you want to go down the chartered route.
  • nc82
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, I am almost certain that my interview technique can be improved and that is something I am addressing by going through mock interview questions etc. Thanks for the feedback in terms of study that is good to know, it is my intention to start via distance learning no later than 2014, a new post and extra income will assist this.

I currently have my cv on cv library and received many calls about jobs that is how I obtained my up coming interview I aware of the types of questions they are asking so I am a better prepared. Are you currently in post? How far are you through ACCA?
  • Nps
    Options
    It's good that you are prepared with respect to potential interview questions, but I think there is far more to interviews. I think confidence, general personality, presentation, overall demeanour and body language etc play just as much a part and I think this is where mock interviews and feedback etc can really help. Of course I don't know you so you may already have all this perfected!

I've completed 7 of the 14 ACCA exams and only secured my first accounting job this month. There appears to be a surplus of jobs in my area and from my conversations with the (very) numerous local recruitment agencies, your level of experience would make you very popular (I'm actually West Midlands born and bred and there does appear to be far fewer jobs back there though).

Good luck on Tuesday.
  • nc82
    Options
    I completely agree with what your saying about the interviews I will look into arranging some mock interviews as I am fully aware that in some interviews I haven't sold myself well enough or come across well, if I had perfected it then I'd have a new job lol.

How have you found ACCA and who are you studying with? Well your halfway there FairPlay to you, the midlands job market is tough at the moment but I am determind to get the job I want.

I am considering relocating in the next 2-3 years 31 years in midlands is enough for anyone haha, whereare you currently based?

Again thanks for your advice!
  • Nps
    Options
    I'm self studying ACCA as it's all self funded. It's fine so far but I haven't ruled out the possibility of looking at distance learning for the last couple of papers if I need to.

I was born and raised in Kingswinford (between Dudley and Wolverhampton - I'm here now actually visiting family) but now live in Milton Keynes after stints in London, Surrey and Kent. We've considered moving back which is why I've kept an eye on job vacancies there, but there is definitely more scope for work and progression in MK, due to it being home to more Head Offices of national and multi national companies than I can count. And it's a great place to live and bring up a family so I can't see us ever moving back now.
  • nc82
    Options
    It's a small world, i currently work in Tipton and my interview is in Oldbury! My wife is from Northamptonand that is where we are considering moving to in the near future so jobs in MK would be a good option.
  • Nps
    Options
    Very small world! I've only been to Tipton about 3 times in my life, yet coincidentally ate in the new fish and chip shop restaurant there on Saturday!
  • nc82
    Options
    First interview went well I have a second interview on Tuesday to discuss some more aspect of the role so fingers crossed!
  • Nps
    Options
    :thumbup1:

Sounds like your interview technique is fine after all!

Good luck for next Tuesday.
  • Wyn
    Wyn Registered Posts: 7 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I saw somewhere recently this great question to ask at the end of an interview

"Do you have any reservations about offering me the position, that we can discuss before I leave?"

It would take some confidence, but that virtue in itself is tick for the interviewers notes!

Wyn
  • nc82
    Options
    Its been quite a drawn out process for various reasons but.........I got the job!!! :001_smile: I am waiting on the offer letter to come through the post finally a break!
  • RyanKimbo
    RyanKimbo Registered Posts: 8 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Congrats!!

May I ask what position you have applied for (well, the position you have been offered!)? I'm finding myself in a similar situation and have been asked to attend a Finance Analyst interview, think I may bite the bullet and go for it!
  • nc82
    Options
    Management Accountant the package is exactly I've been waiting for and it's been along time coming! I would definitely attend the Finance Analyst interview I've been for all types of roles Bookkeeper, Finance Officer, Accounts Assistant go for interview if its not for you then you have lost nothing.
Privacy Policy