Why still a six week wait?

Options
Wendgj
Wendgj Registered Posts: 16 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
When I started studying AAT, exams on all levels were manually marked and we would know the date on which the results would be available, around 6 weeks. Now levels 2 and 3 are marked "on the spot" why does it still take six weeks to make level 4? Surely with less papers to mark this waiting time should be shorter.

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    At Level 4 there is the written element of the CBA. The written element is human marked rather than marked by the computer, therefore a wait of 'up to 6 weeks'.
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Sammys1987
    Sammys1987 Registered Posts: 57 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    It is annoying really!! I read on the introduction on my exam on Thursday that all questions are computer marked except q1.6 and 2.4 which are manually marked. I'm sure the computer could issue a provisional result from how well you have done on the other questions!! It's annoying there is not a set date!!
    ESP as its my last exam already failed once as received result over a week ago, and retook exam 4 days later, as I was and am confident it's only when I got into first exam that it all went wrong with the questions I got but this exam I'm confident on as it was questions I didn't struggle with (hopefully) I either found it easy an the answers are all wrong, or found it easy because I was prepared and knew the answers!!:-) only 5weeks 3 days maximum till result!!
  • Wendgj
    Options
    Even with 2 questions to manually mark, it should be quicker than it used to take when ALL levels were manually marked.
  • Wendgj
    Options
    I have failed it 4 times Sammy, and I only need this one to qualify. :mad2:
  • Jo Clark
    Options
    Wendgj wrote: ยป
    Even with 2 questions to manually mark, it should be quicker than it used to take when ALL levels were manually marked.

I know how you all feel as I have been in exactely the same position as you. However, if you are looking to move onto chartered qualifications you will have a longer wait than six weeks for the results. I know this is of no comfort but thought I would point this out. The only suggestion I have is due to no fixed date being given (as students all sit their exams on different dates) and the AAT say results will take 'upto 6 weeks' don't check your MyAAT account (even though it is tempting) until the beginning of the sixth week. If the results come through earlier it is a bonus.
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Jo Clark
    Options
    It's annoying there is not a set date!!

Don't hate me Sammy, however there can't be a set date as students all sit their exams on different dates since the introduction of CBAs. Before the CBAs, all students would sit the written papers on the same date (as per chartered qualifications). You could set yourself a date of 6 weeks from the day you sit the exam and not check MyAAT until that date :o
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Sammys1987
    Sammys1987 Registered Posts: 57 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I know wend it's frustrating isn't it!! I hope u pass this time round what exam is it? Mine is FP !! I passed all others first time except this one :-( I know jo, the wait is longer but you know what day it will be there rather than constantly checking and hoping!! I'm not going to look till 5 weeks as my last result took 5week 2 days. It will be hard though but when you forget about it the time seems to go quicker :-/!!

Let me know wend! When did u take your exam?
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Hi

Whilst I agree that 6 weeks is a long time when you're waiting for the result of assessments that you've taken, I think you need to understand some of the process that goes on behind the scenes.

You sit your assessment which is then submitted via SecureAssess/LearnPlus for assessment.
    If you've completed a SecureAssess assessment it then goes out as a batch to the markers (remember these markers may also hold other jobs (even accounting roles) and so they have to fit this assessment around their work. They may have tens of assessments to mark in one batch and, to be honest, I feel sorry for them as they have to review the answers to the written questions and take into account other elements of the assessments before submitting the competent or not competent decision. Once this is done, the assessments have to go through quality control to ensure that all assessment decisions are both fair and samples will be taken to ensure that decisions are not unjustly lenient or harsh. These 'checked' assessment decisions will be entered onto the AAT's own reporting system and within 6 weeks you get your result. I wonder how many of you working in practice have to have work checked by a colleague and get frustrated at the time it can take?

With LearnPlus assessments, the completed assessment goes through similar processes but these are done at the centre with which you're registered but still need to be assessed, checked and reported within specified time limits.

I only have to assess some ICAs reports every year and I find it difficult enough to get this done in the timescale set by the AAT when I have no time allowed on my timetable to mark these lengthy documents. I feel that given the alternative of paper based exams or what we have currently, I would prefer what we have now - after all, when I sat my AAT exams in 'Exams Week' in June (2005-2008) I then had to wait for results until August. I believe the examiners/assessors do a fantastic job and maintain strict quality standards without which, the AAT Qualifications would become devalued and less respected in the industry.
  • Wendgj
    Options
    I am waiting for the FP result Sammy. I keep telling myself I am not going to look until I have an email. I have checked before and the results have been there the day before the email arrived. I am going on holiday in three weeks time, and my results are due in that week.
    Thanks for the insight Welshwizard, it helps a little to know why it does take this amount of time. I have seen other threads about the waiting time therefore it maybe worth putting this info onto the results page so that others understand.
Privacy Policy