student membership fees

Options
Jade95
Jade95 Registered Posts: 50 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Does anyone know whether its possible to pay for part years?

I have a couple of exams to resit so my course runs until December 2013. So I only need membership from 1 october to December.

Thankx

Jade

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hello Jade

I don't think this is possible but your best speaking to membership support for clarification.

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Jade95
    Jade95 Registered Posts: 50 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Hello Jade

I don't think this is possible but your best speaking to membership support for clarification.

JC :o

Thankx Jo

I have contacted membership support but just wondered if anyone has done this before.

Jade
  • stevef
    stevef Registered Posts: 258 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Not sure why you want to end your membership? If you are part way through the exam/experience process you will need to retain yor student membership for the next stage. If you wil have completed the qualifying process in December you will want to convert your student membership to full membership.
  • Jules18
    Jules18 Registered, Tutor Posts: 102 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Part year payment

The only time I have known a part-year reduced membership is a few years back when the AAT offered this in an effort to get level 4's to complete their outstanding projects. This was designed to finish the level as this is the unit that historically got left behind as it was no assessed through examination with set dates. I guess the thinking was complete the qualification and try to convert into full membership.

I have not seen it at Levels 1-3.
  • JennaLou
    JennaLou Registered Posts: 14 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I am curious about this too. I am waiting on the result of my final exam but my student membership expires 30th Spet 2013. I will not be able re-sit (should I fail) until October, so paying for a full year will be wasteful.

I do not intend on applying for full memebership, as I am employed and apart from letters after my name I can not see the benefit.

That being said, I am not aware of the cost so if it was reletively small I may consider...
  • stevef
    stevef Registered Posts: 258 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I know this is a student thread and I am a member, but I am intrigued by the way this debate is going.

I just wanted to ask, given that AAT is a professional body that require applicants to demonstrate a level of knowledge at the time of admission and a commitment to continuing professional development to keep that knowledge up to date and advace it, why would you go through the pain of sitting the entrance exams when you do not intend joining?

Being a full member is more than about being able to put letters after your name (eventhough that has a value in itself). It is about being able to distinguish yourself from non qualified persons, its about proving your commitment to CPD as well as having CPD opportunities, its about being proud to hold yourself out as an ambassador of all the standards and ethics that AAT stands for.

I am employed (not in practice) and an ACCA member but retain my AAT membership for all the reasons stated and because I worked too hard to attain membership to throw it away. Being an AAT member helps me manage AAT students and give me a better understanding of their needs.

As I have said in previous posts I do not understand why you would pass the exams and then decide not to become a full member. Also please remember, if AAT had no full members, if none of the graduates actually joined, there would be no AAT. AAT is run by its members in order to serve the interests of its members.
  • JennaLou
    JennaLou Registered Posts: 14 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    You make very interesting points stevef, but for me personally I can not see the benefit to myself.

It may be as I am stuck a little in limbo with my career. I have a well paid job but have already become overqualified by completing level 4. I would like to further my accounts experience and career but I would have to take a large drop in income. Maybe if I felt I had more of a career path then perhaps I would join.

I was under the impression that I could become a member at a later date?
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    You can and you will be subject to a reinstatement fee... Check out page 14 of the current Accounting Technician journal or check it out online www.aat.org.uk/accounting-technician
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
Privacy Policy