WEAF & CMPA confusion

KerryDuncan
KerryDuncan Registered Posts: 27 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Hi All,
I have my Basic Costing exam next Friday which I am fairly confident about.
I only have WEAF and CMPA left to do after I hopefully pass BC next week :)

Can anyone please explain to me how these last two exams work? Are they the same as BA1, BA2 and BC?

Help, i'm confused!

Comments

• amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi Kerry,

WEAF is the same as the exams you have already done, split into Part 1 & Part 2, with I think approx 10 questions in section 1 and 14 questions in section 2.

CMPA is abit different. This includes Sage - the exam is taken via the LearnPlus module on MyAAT (aat.org.uk) and a mapping sheet is download with instructions of what you need to do. Part 1 will be working with Sage via the desktop program, saving various reports, inputting various data and then this has to be saved into a folder and uploaded to LearnPlus on the AAT website. Part 2 is various questions with regards to computing and accounting I believe.

Sorry my information may be abit limited, I am yet to do this exam, but all this info I have pulled off the AAT website, loads of helpful tips and information on there.

Good Luck with Basic Costing next week.

Rgds.
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
  • Relle
    Relle Registered Posts: 14 Regular contributor โญ
    Hi

amurray...are you sure WEAF is in 2 sections? I am asking that because on the green light testing for WEAF it only has one section which means it'd be a pretty quick test to take.
    I am due to do this on the 14th of sept.

Relle
  • amurray
    Relle wrote: ยป
    Hi

amurray...are you sure WEAF is in 2 sections? I am asking that because on the green light testing for WEAF it only has one section which means it'd be a pretty quick test to take.
    I am due to do this on the 14th of sept.

Relle

Hi Relle,

Do you know what now I cant be so sure... :huh:... I thought It was I can honestly not remember I done this exam in June and my memory has gone totally blank.

Apologies for not being sure. Hopefully someone can answer this for you. I've just looked at the AAT website and it shows it in the 2 parts, this information I found on the WEAF Assessment Briefing.

Good Luck with your exam :001_smile:
  • Relle
    thats ok ...

I just checked and its only in one part...they give you 90mins...it all changed from sept 2012.

have a good weekend

Relle
  • KerryDuncan
    Thanks amurray!
    I'm studying through distance learning with Kaplan, does this affect CMPA do you know?

Thanks
    Kerry
  • amurray
    thats ok ...

I just checked and its only in one part...they give you 90mins...it all changed from sept 2012.

have a good weekend

Relle

Ahh right thats it 90mins. Good Luck let us know how you get on! Thanks you too :)

Thanks amurray!
    I'm studying through distance learning with Kaplan, does this affect CMPA do you know?

Thanks
    Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Affect in CMPA in what way? - Just by studying distance learning?

Not at all its the same exam for students at college or distance learning, I'm also distance learning :)

Cheers
  • KerryDuncan
    Hi,

Can I still go to my usual external exam center to sit this exam?

Thanks
  • amurray
    Hi,

Can I still go to my usual external exam center to sit this exam?

Thanks

Hi Kerry,

I don't see why not. Double check with your training provider just to be on the safe side and reassure yourself.

When do you plan to do the exam? - I have my CMPA in 2 weeks time (Eeek! :ohmy:)

Rgds.
  • KerryDuncan
    Hi amurray,

Okay, thank you so much for your help.
    Not sure, i've just started looking over so I dont know yet.
    How long did it take you to study for it?

Thanks
  • amurray
    Hi amurray,

Okay, thank you so much for your help.
    Not sure, i've just started looking over so I dont know yet.
    How long did it take you to study for it?

Thanks

Hi Kerry,

No worries. I've been studying since July for CMPA, Had my exam booked at the beginning of August however had to cancel it and rebook with it now being 2nd week of Sept.

Looks alright actually, Its the unit I've enjoyed the most, working on sage was quite fun. :001_smile:
  • KerryDuncan
    Hi,

Okay, i'm hoping to do mine near the middle/end of October then.
    I work in accounts and we use access, so i'm not sure how i'm going to get on with sage, eek!
  • amurray
    Hi Kerry,

If you already are working in accounts and with accounting software you shouldn't have a problem as you have experience - All systems work differently but ofcourse the principles and most procedures remain the same. Am sure you'll pick up sage very quickly.

I work in accounts too but for an American company and we use a US developed accounting software, quite complex and harder than sage - infact completely different from sage alltogether, but it didn't take me too much longer to pick up sage, just had to remember what was accessed from each menu, familiarising myself with the reports and sage ways.

Rgds :001_smile:
  • KerryDuncan
    Hi,

Thank you so much - you have totally reassured me!
    Good luck for your exam :)
  • amurray
    Will try and help wherever possible :)

Congrats on Basic Costing by the way.
  • Relle
    Hi amurray...me again..

I am doing WEAF/BASIC COSTING next weekend 14/15 sept...then finally the CMPA prob Dec or maybe Jan depending how many xmas parties i go to :001_smile:

I wanted to ask you...who are you studying through? I am with Home Learning College...who I wouldn't recommend ...but i have had people ask me who they'd use if they did the same course as me...and on here i have seen Kaplan has taken a bashing too...so i really don't know who to recommend!

maybe they are all the same!
    thanks
  • amurray
    Hi amurray...me again..

I am doing WEAF/BASIC COSTING next weekend 14/15 sept...then finally the CMPA prob Dec or maybe Jan depending how many xmas parties i go to :001_smile:

I wanted to ask you...who are you studying through? I am with Home Learning College...who I wouldn't recommend ...but i have had people ask me who they'd use if they did the same course as me...and on here i have seen Kaplan has taken a bashing too...so i really don't know who to recommend!

maybe they are all the same!
    thanks

Hi Relle,

Hope you're well.

Well good luck for next weekend - I hope it all goes well, let us know how you get on. Basic Costing I came over alot of FIFO/LIFO/AVCO questions when I did it in July. Ha I like the bit you put on about hows many xmas parties :). I know that feeling.

I have CMPA next week, can't wait to finish Level 2 now, Level 3 looks very exciting :). I am studying through Home Learning College also, I have heard so many bad things about the college on these forums and also HLC ones, but fingers crossed I've not received any bad experiences. I've also noticed alot of people recommend Kaplan, I think its a very good college too, I may consider doing either CIMA/ACCA with them :).

Cheers for now.
  • Relle
    thanks for your reply..

you are very lucky then with your experience with HLC.

I am only doing Level 2 as I work already in accounting in my job and the units all reflect what I do now and just re-inforces it. As for level 3 & 4, it doesn't help with my job at all as I live in Paris, France, so the bulk of the next levels are indicative to British VAT and workings etc. So I was VERY pleased about that!! as I am fed up with studying already!

Hopefully I can get through this last few exams without worry..

Good luck on your exam next week ...let me know how you go and what to expect!!

Relle
  • amurray
    Hi Relle :001_smile:,

Well I did my CMPA exam this afternoon. I feel really happy with how it went and confident too! - The exam tested everything in the syllabus, so I'd recommend you feel confident with all aspects of Sage, I.e. menus, reports and making all the necessary entries before sitting it.

I've also thought "I'm fedup too" however I look ahead and think there is a light at the end of the tunnel which I now see as Level 2 is finished and pending the CMPA result, you've got to think all these exams will pay off in the near future!

Relle by studying hard and making sure you feel confident, you'll do just fine.

Cheers,
    Andy
  • Relle
    a pre congrats are in order!! good work...time to have a little celebration before you crack on to the next level.

thanks for the tips..and i'll remember all what you have said.

all the best
    Relle
  • amurray
    a pre congrats are in order!! good work...time to have a little celebration before you crack on to the next level.

thanks for the tips..and i'll remember all what you have said.

all the best
    Relle

Hi Relle,

thanks and also for you :)
Privacy Policy