Further studies - CIMA & BA Accounting @ RGU

Options
mrderek88
mrderek88 Registered Posts: 44 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Hi there

I know it's a long way away but I've been, lets say nudged by my boss into exploring options for CIMA for when I finish Level 4.

There is a course at Robert Gordon's University in Aberdeen that offers a BA in Accounting along with the CIMA advanced diploma. I was wondering if anyone has also maybe explored this option and/or started it? If so, is it really worth the extra study time to get the BA? The course would take 2 years to get the BA & ADv.Dip.

I know it's not about how many qualifications you have but I really would like to also obtain a degree of some sort in Accounting & Finance along with the CIMA qualifiaction so this is why Im interested in it. This does only give you the Advanced Diploma so I would then have to study the Strategic level of CIMA on my own. But then again, there is also another course at RGU for a Masters in Strategic Accounting which has the strategic level of CIMA alongside it. This would then take another 2 years.

Any thoughts from anyone would help?

Thanks

Derek

Comments

• ExcelAnt
    ExcelAnt Registered Posts: 80 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Hi mrderek,

It seems like you have a few possible options. The cynic in me would shorten the thinking to What is your goal?

If its qualifications and access to higher pay. Go straight for Cima. (some would argue Cima itself is a degree equivalent)

If it's knowledge and the learning that comes from the degree and there is no rush then take your time. and go for one of the degree options.

If your addicted to study, go for the masters!

Personally I am about to start the ACCA, having not worked hard enough at university, i now have the option to gain a BA in applied accounting alongside the ACCA.
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    After AAT you can use AAT to exempt you from the 5 CIMA certificate exams.
    When you have then passed P1 F1 and E1 and P2 F2 and E2 you will be on your way to passing CIMA, and have already got the CIMA advanced diploma.
    Many students take 2 exams at each sitting, so 6 could be passed within 16 months of starting.
    Say you started CIMA in Aug 2013, sat 2 in Nov 13, 2 in May 14 and 2 in Nov 14, you would be awarded the CIMA advanced diploma in Jan 15.
    You could then start the 3s, sit the exams in May 15 and round off with T4 in Nov 15.

It is up to you if you want a degree as well. I think ACMA and CGMA is good enough, and mean more to me than a degree, but the choice is yours. My students are in full-time jobs (generally with a fair bit of responsibility) and I think that is important.

A lot of qualified accountants who don't have track records struggle to find suitable jobs.

From an employer's angle, would you recruit a fully qualified person with little or no experience? They can't show they can do demanding jobs, and if you give them undemanding jobs will they leave just when you've got them trained up?
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • mrderek88
    mrderek88 Registered Posts: 44 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Thanks for your reply guys.

Sandy - the way you lay it out there sounds a whole lot easier than studying for the next 4-6 years. I work full-time as well as studying and my employer is relavtively good in giving myself and the other trainee work which is relevant to what we are studying. I would definitely have the experience to get a new job if it came to that. I think once I qualify there wont be room for two new accountants at work so one, or maybe even both of us, would have to look for something else. Bit pointless training us but Im not going to complain, much.

Definitely a lot to think over between now and finishing up AAT. I think doing CIMA alone sounds the best way about it.

Thanks again

Derek
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    mrderek88

From my limited knowledge of your circumstances, I think your course of action is best.
    Use the sponsorship your employer will give and keep working alongside your studies.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
Privacy Policy