Deaf Clients

Options
T.C.
T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Just wondering.....does anyone have any deaf clients? I am learning sign language in an attempt to ready myself in case anyone needs my services. Has anyone done the same or do you offer this service?

Comments

• Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    Options
    My company uses a 3rd party provider to cater for deaf clients. I believe the company come and install something on your computer and we pay a very small monthly fee (very small if I remember correctly). When a deaf client comes in, we call a number and speak to the person on the phone who then translates via the computer screen for the client.

I know a little sign language and I'd love to be better at it, but unless you're using it frequently I would imagine it's very difficult to actually be good enough to hold a conversation with someone.
  • T.C.
    Options
    I guess so, but I am going to try and keep practising. I am also hoping to offer this as part of my tutoring role.
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I'm sure it would be a lovely skill to have but it would rarely be required. I have a client who has very little hearing ability but we do most corresponding via email which works fine.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Most of my clients have poor listening ability.

I have yet to find an adequate solution!
  • T.C.
    Options
    That is different Dean. I am concentrating on helping those who 'choose' to listen!!
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I learnt sign language a couple of years ago, enough to hold a conversation, I think I got to level 3 then had to stop. If we had any deaf clients come in I'd be able to sign the basics but as I don't have much chance to use it its one of those skills that you lose unfortunately. It's such a good thing to know though. I loved signing with the deaf community. B xxx
  • T.C.
    Options
    Thank you. That is exactly what I want to be able to do.
Privacy Policy