PEAF - Incompatible Activities

angmc
angmc Registered Posts: 73 Epic contributor 🐘
I've been reading through the Osborne PEAF book and came across this example of an Incompatible Activity...

"a member who is an active campaigner for animal rights, including being
involved in demonstrations and potentially illegal activities – this may
not be appropriate for the maintenance of the good reputation of the
accounting profession"

To be honest I'm a bit shocked, I can understand the part about "potentially illegal activities" but why would campaigning for animal rights and going on demonstrations be deemed an incompatible activity?

Comments

• Vlee
    Vlee Registered Posts: 136 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I imagine this is because some animal rights groups have been involved in terrorist activity, plus funding terrorism is something covered by money laundering regs too. I'm sure supporting the RSPCA etc would be fine but those organisations which have been involved in terrorist activity wouldn't, much the same as joining the Real IRA or Al Qaeda.
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Dear angmc

Please look at this quote with the eyes of an exam candidate.

"a member who is an active campaigner for animal rights, including being
    involved in demonstrations and potentially illegal activities – this may
    not be appropriate for the maintenance of the good reputation of the
    accounting profession"

I have deliberately highlighted the word and because the question has not said campaigning for animal rights and going on demonstrations and ended the sentence there. You need to look at the whole of the member's activity - including the illegal activities.

You and I and the examiner would no doubt agree that campaigning including demonstrations are legitimate activities.

http://info.babymilkaction.org/nestlefree is a website of a campaigning group with the aim of convincing Nestle that they should stop pushing their baby milk to mothers. This pushing takes place in African and Far Eastern countries (among others) where mothers are discouraged from feeding their babies with their own milk. There is no illegal activity by the baby milk action group, the main pressure that is used is boycotting Nestle products (notably Nescafe Coffee).
    Have a look at their website, this is a particularly important week to campaign through not buying Nestle products.

This sort of campaigning is ethical and compatible with the good reputation of the accountancy profession.
    http://info.babymilkaction.org/nestlefreeweek
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • angmc
    angmc Registered Posts: 73 Epic contributor 🐘
    I suppose I was just surprised that animal rights had been singled out rather than just making a general point about being involved in illegal campaigning activities.
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Better to be surprised in the preparation than in the exam itself.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
Privacy Policy