Exam room distractions?!

wabisabi
wabisabi Registered Posts: 130 Epic contributor 🐘
I sat my API exam on Friday and all was going well until I finished Q1.1 and noticed that the invigilator (who was right in front of me) was spraying something onto a surface and appeared to be polishing something! Every couple of minutes there was a "skshh skshh" noise. Of course once I'd noticed it, it was fatal! I was really distracted during the next question and eventually (25 mins or so into the exam) put my hand up and said the noise was distracting. He stopped and apologised, but I then went over this in my mind for the duration of the next question and didn't get back into my stride for a good 10 or 15 mins.

I am quite easily distracted but I don't think he should have been making an unusual noise during an important exam. I wondered what other people think and whether anyone has had similar experiences? How do you cope with distractions in exams?

Comments

• angmc
    angmc Registered Posts: 73 Epic contributor 🐘
    Oh I feel your pain wabisabi! I always seem to be sat next to the noisiest or most fidgety person in the room. My last exam (Cash Management) there was a guy sat next to me who was typing so loudly I'm surprised he didn't break the keyboard. It was so distracting, I looked over at him a couple of times to try & give him the death stare but he didn't look up, he was so engrossed in his own little world. I just wish people would be a bit more considerate. I've had it before with noisy typists (had one sat behind me once) and it is very difficult to concentrate once you pick up on it.

Did you manage to pass anyway?
  • wabisabi
    wabisabi Registered Posts: 130 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi angmc

I had a few thunderous typists to contend with on Friday too, but I kind of expected that and was able to ignore it.

Yes I did pass thank goodness!! I've booked the spreadsheets exam at the same centre in a couple of weeks though ... I wonder if I could wear the earplugs I take to gigs in an exam!? :)
  • Clarekaye
    Clarekaye Registered Posts: 307
    Only once when when we were waiting for the codes everyone was talking and one said oh I hope the invigilator is 'whats his name' then I know I can cheat. Er yeah I was not focused on that exam one bit infact once I was home I wrote a letter to complain about quite a few things!

I always worry about my belly rumbling so loud it distracts people but I think it only distracts me lol! I am quite lucky I get distracted at home with cats/housemates that when I am in the exam room not alot bothers me but yeah them spraying something does sound very odd!
Privacy Policy