Need a job in a practice in Birmingham

Options
jasec
jasec Registered Posts: 17 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi All,

I have been MAAT for over a year and really want a job in a practice in Birmingham.

I have experience in sales leger and credit control but really want to work in a practice.

I self funded AAT and at the moment am self funding ACCA.

Unfortunately I cannot get a look in with any practice.

I am 44 and was in the army from 16 - 24 then I was an HGV mechanic for 15 years so I appreciate I do not have vast amounts of experience.

The experience I do have however is good and I want to keep progressing in accountancy.

What I am asking is does anybody have any advise to help me get into a practice or even better a job for me to interview for lol.

Any help or hints would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Minesh
    Minesh Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi All

I have completed my Level 1,2 and 3 AAT qualification last year in July and also completed City and Guilds Level 1 in Book-Keeping and Accounts and Level 1 and 2 Sage Computerised Accounts.

I have experience in retail, retail banking, administration and finance.

I self funded myself to do the AAT qualification as I wanted to pursue a career into finance as Sales/Purchase Ledger or as Account Assistant as I am currently working in retail want to a change of a career.

I similar to Jasec is finding it extremely difficult in applying for jobs as I don't have any practical experience in accounting and bookkeeping.

I live in Birmingham, I am 35 and I am willing to do some voluntary work experience with a business or accountancy company so I gain some valuable experience.

As I have little experience I am struggling to apply for jobs.

What I am asking does anybody have any advise for me in terms of what do you so I can some actual work experience which will secure for a future in accountancy and finance.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • George Tse
    George Tse Registered Posts: 241 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    @Minesh, Nice thread Hijack, next time start you own thread.

As for jasec, The best thing to do is research what local firms you have and write to them expressing you interest in their practice and what skills you have to offer. Not necessary asking for a job but if you can arrange a meeting with one of the partners asking for advice on how to get in to practice. This will also be a good opportunity for you to sell yourself even of they are not employing at the moment and if they do eventually need someone then your name might be the first to pop up.

Hope thats helped and I am in the same boat as you looking for a job in account and this is what i am going to start doing.

Gentle
Privacy Policy