Sacked...

mac1
mac1 Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
Soooooo...sacked again...

After 3 months, my manager decided neither to make me permanent, nor renew my temporary contract. May have been predictable really, but wasn’t too sure until told after 5 yesterday that she wasn’t happy with me...
I recognise this is MY side of the story before anyone says anything, but here goes...
The warning signs were there...
  1. Manager frequently complaining about how much work she has whilst spending a lot of time chatting...blames you for things which couldn’t have been your fault, as in before you started, then states that there’s no “blame culture”...
  2. Real “us and them mentality” – with our team at the bottom of the pile, manager, a fully qualified (FCCA) Taxation/Statutory Accountant seemingly overly deferential to staff on other teams much lower in seniority, eg a sales ledger administrator...and I’m at the bottom of that – manager relies on the other team members more, so has to be careful with them...
  3. Manager giving instructions that you follow, then contradicts herself later on and guess who gets chastisement...
  4. Other team members standing around chatting, sometimes whispering – rude in my book...
  5. Laborious, drawn out and difficult to learn processes for (what should be) simple tasks...eg preparing invoices (involving imports and exports from one software package to another), which seem to regularly be the subject of debate and considered a big deal...
  6. At least two different software packages, one around 15 years old, with weaknesses allowing duplication and error...management not wanting to invest, obviously...
  7. Extra work and pressure caused by the operations staff (salesmen) creating a mess by taking shortcuts...eg one debtor group company account outstanding – because the salesmen instructed finance to invoice the wrong operating company...
  8. Being held to a higher standard than that of anyone else – no mistakes allowed even though you’ve only done something once or twice, whilst others make the same mistakes time and time again...others repeatedly stating the obvious, whilst not knowing stuff that you would have thought they would, after having worked there for many years...
  9. All other team members only speaking to you if they have to; you go 7.5 hours a day, 5 days a week in silence...so, head down, mouth shut, work hard, look for more work when that dries up, show enthusiasm and initiative, but that obviously wasn’t enough...
  10. And lastly, TWO previous incumbents since October last year; one lasted a month then went on holiday; didn’t come back and went on long term sick, the other didn’t last too long either – they never told me about him – I learnt from one of the salesmen or “consultants” as they were called...
Well, to be honest, quite a relief I’ve finished, although I quite liked the job itself, it seems to me I was in a no-win situation. However, I was 8 months out of work before and thought I’d turned a corner moneywise and professionally. Here’s hoping I’m back in work sooner...

Thoughts? Anyone else had similar experiences?

Comments

• Jayney
    Jayney Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    Sorry to hear that - hope you find a rewarding job soon, where there are reasonable staff who treat you like a human being and not a machine.
Privacy Policy