First day in new job - What to expect? How to react?

Options
geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor 🐘
Good Morning Folks

I will be starting a new job in an accounts office job in the next few days.

I will be given training for 1 or 2 days on their systems by another member of staff who already works there.

Apart from the usual thing of trying to impress the employer and making friends around the department, what else can you advice that I take into consideration?

I don't want to be overly friendly, (staff may become suspicious), and I don't want to be unfriendly either.

Apart from making sure I arrive at work in good time, take breaks/lunch at designated times, are there other things I need to take into consideration? What about the usual 'office politics'?

I know that other staff will probably be watching every move I make - particularly bring the 'new boy'.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I'm struggling to understand why you're so concerned about coming across the way that you're 'expected' to come across. Just be yourself, I'm assuming that's how you got the job in the first place?

The only other thing I would say is don't be afraid to ask questions, I would always rather someone asked me the question if they don't know how to do something rather than trying to do it themselves without knowing how and getting it wrong.

Good luck in your new job.
  • Makkusu
    Makkusu Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Don't be too concerned with trying to make friends. It's far more impressionable to get your head down, write lots of notes, ask lots of questions (good ones, not pointless ones)... that's a good sign of someone with potential.

Come prepared, show you mean business.

Good luck and enjoy it.
Privacy Policy