Help Variances !

Options
Tilli
Tilli Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
hello
my first post here, have not studied for years and back to do my AAT level 4
working on the variances and nothing seems to go in, exam in a few weeks time and i'm very stressed already, taken the green light test and only scored 20% !
any words of wisdom please except practice alot?
thanks in advance x

Comments

• Rebeccca
    Rebeccca Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi Tilli!
    I had this problem this time last year. I'd suggest getting as much exposure to all forms of study as possible. I've just recently taken my Financial Performance exam (5 week count down to results...) and was carting BPP, Kaplan AND Osborne books around everywhere with me.
    If I can find my workings, I'll scan in the play on words that I used to remember the variances.
    Are you also finding it tough as to decide the Adverse or Favourable?

Trust me, the more study you do, the easier these will become.
    The Kaplan revision pack is VERY good for these as there's question after question after question and it ends up sticking!

Good Luck!
    Rebecca.
  • Kelly7
    Kelly7 Registered Posts: 218 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Have you got any questions you have that you can't work out? Not certain that I can help but if not I'm sure someone can. X
  • angmc
    angmc Registered Posts: 73 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I'm having the same problem especially with fixed overhead variances. Here's a link to a video on youtube by First Tuition that I found very helpful. I think the trick is to think about what you're actually measuring and what you're comparing it against.
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/EWCDCzLb-1s
  • hawke421
    hawke421 Registered Posts: 6
    Options
    my problem is trying to work out efficiency variances if my budget o/h 120,000 output 12,000 and labour hour 4000 Actual o/h 118,000 output 11400 labour hours 3950 worked out absorption rate as 120,000/4000 = £30 diff in hours 50 = 1550 answer should be 4500 what am I doing wrong???
  • angmc
    angmc Registered Posts: 73 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Ok so bearing in mind I'm just trying to get to grips with it myself this is how I would work it out:
    The standard hours it should have taken to produce 11400 is 3800 hours (4000/12000 x 11400), 3800 - 3950 = -150 x £30 = 4500A.

I've found doing the Green Light tests over and over again is helping to make it finally stick in my head!
  • hawke421
    hawke421 Registered Posts: 6
    Options
    Yes I think I might have got it will go on the the green lights. Thank you
  • aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    Options
    Good Evening All,

The formulas I used in the following link
    http://forums.aat.org.uk/discussion/comment/383371#Comment_383371, helped me to remember the variances and also included is some questions with answers also.
    It has been nearly 2 years :o but they may still do the job.

Also please be aware if you're looking to progress onto ACCA in F5 there is variances, so there is no escaping lol

Aaron
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • zippi
    zippi Registered Posts: 182 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    angmc said:

I'm having the same problem especially with fixed overhead variances. Here's a link to a video on youtube by First Tuition that I found very helpful. I think the trick is to think about what you're actually measuring and what you're comparing it against.
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/EWCDCzLb-1s

This is actually very clear and well explained question on variances. If required to ask further questions on other things what do you type in u tube as this contains YouTube address and some codes.
Privacy Policy