Returning to Level 4 after a year long break

Options
AATchick
AATchick Registered Posts: 89 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi All, I was wondering if I could have some advice please.

I studied AAT Level 2 and 3 through college, and fell pregnant halfway through Level 3 last year. I had my baby in November last year and my boss (who is funding my studies) suggested a year's break then to go back to complete Level 4. I am now looking into studying Level 4 at home as although I passed both previous levels I always found myself learning more myself at home and re-reading (teaching) myself the book chapters!

So therefore, I was wondering if anyone had any experience or tips as how best to go about this. I've heard of online classrooms but I was wondering whether there is a time limit on these. As my baby is not sleeping through the night yet, I'm going to have to snatch studying time here and there, but I want to learn at my own pace so did not know if the online classroom would be best in this case. It may take me a matter of weeks or months to learn 1 unit so need a flexible plan really.

I suppose I could just buy the textbooks, but then I would have to book the exams as an external candidate and wasn't sure how to go about this.

Also, looking around the forum I have read cash management and credit control are the easiest of the optional units - was thinking of starting these first to ease me in gently. Anyone else done this?

Arghh questions questions! Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for reading :-)

Comments

• Haysah
    Haysah Registered Posts: 80 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi I took a year out between level 3 and four to have a baby but I study through a local college. so can't offer advice on distance learning.

I managed to split my level 4 year over two years doing four units last year. I am now working on my final two units. This helped me manage a baby, family, working and studying. its not easy but it is possible.

Cash Man I found hard but I always say its units easy or hard all depend on what clicks for you. I.m Just under two weeks away from sitting Budgeting its going ok but nerves are kicking in. Hope you get some sleep soon its that hardest thing to manage with the lack of sleep going on.
  • liveprincess
    liveprincess Registered Posts: 214 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Hi

you can sign up with the training provider for a distance learning course and study from the books as and when you can. I find it great and not had a problem so far, books are really easy to understand. If you need help you can always ring or email your tutor or ask people on the forum or on facebook (there is an AAT distance learning group)
    Good luck
  • ariadne
    ariadne Registered Posts: 218
    Options
    I'm wondering about how to study L4 after self studying L3 so far. I have two small people who didn't sleep through until a year old at least. I'm still at home so I can't imagine juggling work, parenting and study, taking your time is a good idea. I think some providers have a time limit but will have to check, two years seems to ring a bell. If your employer is paying I would be tempted to do the more expensive online classroom course, I find it easier to listen than read when tired. Or if you can get some study time to attend an actual classroom that may be better. Buying a module at a time may be helpful too, you may find some easy enough to self study completely while needing more support on other modules. I'm not yet sure how much harder L4 is and which modules are easier than others, doing an easier one first will help ease you back in and boost your confidence, as well as being a trial at self study. I will probably try this myself once I find out which is easiest.
  • liveprincess
    liveprincess Registered Posts: 214 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I didn't do credit control management but I thought that budgeting was the easiest for me.
  • AATchick
    Options
    Thanks all for your comments, I really appreciate it. I just hope my brain can get back into gear however I decide to learn! :-) thanks everyone xxx
  • Chimpette22
    Chimpette22 Registered Posts: 75 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I took a year off to have a baby last year. I had already taken some of my level 4 exams and already had 2 small boys (1 and 4 year old) I used a distance learning provider (premier training) I have used them for all the levels and they have been brilliant. Hoping to finish level 4 by Easter next year fingers crossed. I study when I can and book my exams once I feel I'm ready. I finished levels 2 & 3 very quickly doing this. I opted for cash management and really enjoyed the unit.

You will do great I'm sure of it!
    Fully AAT qualified July 2015
  • AATchick
    Options
    Thanks Chimpette22, youve given me a bit more courage. Its starting the whole process again which unnerves me a bit but i think i should just jump in with 2 feet eh! X
  • Chimpette22
    Chimpette22 Registered Posts: 75 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Yes I was exactly the same after having the time off. My first unit was Business Tax which was not the easiest of things to jump back into LOL. But I sat my exam a few weeks ago and I'm hoping for a pass. Now I'm trying to concentrate on Statements as my exam is in 3 weeks.... had to book it as didn't want to move onto the new standards LOL

Very very nervous about it, not use to this rushing when it comes to my exams. And with 2 out of 3 of my boys being ill, again not easy to concentrate to studying but I'm trying my best.

Fully AAT qualified July 2015
Privacy Policy