Interview tips with manufacturing company

Hi Everyone, I'm after some general advice on cost accounting.

I'm going for an interview with a manufacturing company however my background is insurance and property/service charges.

Can anyone offer general advice / pointers to give me a bit of a helping hand.

Thank you!

Comments

• Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Review your AAT study texts on cost accounting .

Have a look at their accounts on companies house if available and learn what you can from these.
  • hortncizigr
    hortncizigr Registered Posts: 1
    If anybody has been in a similar situation or can advise me it will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks
    aliiiii
  • ChristianB
    ChristianB Registered Posts: 197 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi @hortncizigr

Do you mean you're going for your first accounting role but your previous experience is from another industry?

Regards
    I have now left AAT. If you require any assistance with the forums, please contact membership support: https://www.aat.org.uk/contact-us
  • Neillaw
    Neillaw Registered Posts: 307 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    With any cost accounting role you need to be methodical in your approach.

I would also find out what industry they are connected with, this will give you an idea as to the products they make and possible manufacturing processes.

One thing you could ask is how much shop floor work you will be expected to do, you should be at home on the shop floor as well as your desk.

With most cost accounting roles you might not get much actual management accounting experience which you may want to ask about.
  • DJH1905
    DJH1905 Registered Posts: 3
    Thanks guys. I didn't get your comments in time for my interview. I did however get the job. Early days yet but I am really enjoying it.

It's not my first accounting role but first time in the manufacturing environment.
  • CLITTLE
    CLITTLE Registered Posts: 1
    I am glad that you got the job. As someone who has been involved with accounting within a manufacturing environment I think you can also help your organization by using your theoretical skills to improve the existing systems as I usually find many flaws in the organizations that I have been involved with, and usually leave with great improvements.
Privacy Policy