Home For accounting professionals General accounting discussion
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Customer overpayments

Hi all,
I am newly qualified as an AAT. Can I please have some advice regarding customer overpayments?
We have some unallocated customer overpayments/ duplicate payments on our debtor accounts. These are from before I started to work in this department. What are the rules regarding the clearing/ write off?

Even though I keep sending customer statements to some of the customers and tell them to deduct the overpayment from the payment of a future invoice, their accounts department seem to ignore this. We have recently started using Sage Professional. To which nominal code could I clear these overpayments (I guess I have to use the Customer Batch Sales Invoice function) and what are the rules?

Thank you for your advice.
Pam

Comments

• Gem7321Gem7321 Experienced Mentor DevonMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,438
    Unfortunately you have an obligation to return the overpayments to the customers otherwise it is effectively stealing (assuming they are overpayments and not duplicate entries?).