Voluntary Work Declaration


I was wondering if I need to declare to AAT that I have undertaken voluntary work? I have just become a full member and I am completing a self assessment tax return for two friends. I am doing this free of charge to gain experience.

Also will this voluntary work count as experience required by AAT to get approved to offer Personal Tax services if I wish to register as MIP in the future?



  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Moderator, MAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,369
    Hi jmorgo7
    Yes you need to fill in a voluntary work declaration form (found under "becoming self-employed" on the AAT website). I believe it does count towards your experience required to apply for MIP registration however I'd suggest you have your work checked/reviewed by a colleague or mentor.
  • jmorgo7
    jmorgo7 Registered Posts: 18
    Thanks for the reply and advice Marie!

    I'll certainly do that, I have a couple of friends who are also in the accountancy field to check my work, luckily for me my first two clients have very small tax returns so there isn't a great deal of work to do!


Privacy Policy