Changing career to accounting, should I expect pay cut?

Options
Poppy_dd
Poppy_dd Registered Posts: 12
Hi there,

I just wonder I could get everyone's input about this, here's my situation.

I'm working full time in a role that has nothing to do with finance, neither have I had any work experience in finance. I've just recently started AAT L2 and passed my first exam last weekend, yey! I also started looking for a new job last week as I have read a lot of comments that it is better to try to get some experience in accounts as soon as possible.

Now, I've been contacted and invited to an interview for a Junior Accounts Assistant role but it pays around 10% less than my current salary and it also further away from my house, 40 minutes or so where my work now is only 15 minutes away. To add onto that, the working hour is also half an hour longer a day.

I know I haven't got a job yet, but I'm just thinking what to do if I would be offered the position. Would it be stupid to accept the offer for a job that pay less, more travel, a bit more hour but I will be starting my career in accounting straight away? The thing is I have heard people say all the time that it is so hard to get that first job when they don't have any previous experience even though they're taking AAT, is that true?

It would be nice to know what everyone thinks and what would you do if you were in my shoes :)

Thanks so much in advance!

Comments

• ChristianB
    ChristianB Registered Posts: 197 Epic contributor 🐘
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi @Poppy_dd

Congratulations on taking the first step!

There's no easy answer to this question. There's a strong argument for taking a paycut now to start a journey that may lead to greater things in a few years. I'll let other students/members help you answer that, but for now let me draw your attention to the results of our last salary survey, just to show you where you could be if you progress with AAT.

Our last salary survey found that the mean average salary for a full AAT member to be approximately £25,000 PA.

You can find the full report at https://www.aat.org.uk//assessments-news/2013-salary-and-career-survey-results-are.

Also, welcome to AAT!

Regards
    I have now left AAT. If you require any assistance with the forums, please contact membership support: https://www.aat.org.uk/contact-us
  • sashalousmith
    sashalousmith Registered Posts: 23
    Options
    @Poppy_dd Well done on getting an interview! It's a hard decision to make so I can understand you want to be 100% sure before you commit. I am 24 and worked in Finance for 8 years though not directly accountancy. I have completed Level 2 of AAT (starting Level 3) and I am struggling to even get an interview :( even though I am prepared to more than half my current salary. The slight salary drop for you should pay off once you complete each level as usually employers will review your salary at different stages of level completion so always something to bear in mind too :) Short term pain could lead to long term benefits!

Best of luck with whatever you choose :)!
    AAT Level 2 :)
    PBKT Nov 14
    CJBS Dec 14
    WKAF Jan 15
    CJBS Feb 15
    CPAG - Studying!
  • Poppy_dd
    Options
    @sashalousmith You've been in finance for 8 years and only 24, that's very impressive! I'm 29 this year and have just started. Seems like you have a lot of experience in accounts under your belt so it really surprises me to learn that you're having a hard time getting a job. May I ask you where do you live? Maybe it depends on the competition in the area as well?
  • sashalousmith
    sashalousmith Registered Posts: 23
    Options
    @Poppy_dd Yeah I left school and went straight into Finance. I have no accounts experience but have worked in asset reconciliation and client services. I live in Essex but currently work in London. Where abouts are you based? I am hoping it is the time of year, as it approaches Sept alot of Employers will recruit for AAT/ACCA people to enrol into college - so hoping for that :) Well done on starting out though, are you enjoying AAT?
    AAT Level 2 :)
    PBKT Nov 14
    CJBS Dec 14
    WKAF Jan 15
    CJBS Feb 15
    CPAG - Studying!
  • Poppy_dd
    Options
    @sashalousmith I'm based in Cheltenham and the place I went for the interview was in Gloucester. Yes, I'm enjoying it so far. I've booked the CJBS and basic costing on 28th Feb on the same day so quite excited about that!

Good luck with the job hunting. With your experience, I'm sure something will come up :)
  • richf
    richf Registered Posts: 86 New contributor 🐸
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I feel your pain,
    I'm 33 and in a similar if not the same situation.

I'm in a relatively well paid job, having worked my way up, all the accountancy jobs I've found are a pay drop I couldn't afford as have house, kid etc.
    That said, I know my job inside out and I'm unchallenged despite being relatively technical, hence the desire to move.

I started Aat two years ago and should be finished this year, hopefully by autumn.
    In that time I've managed to talk my boss into letting me have some exposure to accounts type stuff even though we pay a external accountant to do our accounts. Would their be a possibility for you to do the same? Perhaps and probably for free until you prove useful?

Before Christmas infact I decided it was time to move on and the threat was enough for my boss to suddenly move into overdrive! Suddenly I'm coding purchase invoices, reconciling various accounts and bank accounts and performing various other accountancy time tasks all in tandem with external accounts. I'll still have to leave to carry on and get chartered but the experience is invaluable, and confidence building.

Good luck.
  • MrsWright
    MrsWright Registered Posts: 19
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi
    I am 32 and I took a massive pay cut to land the role I wanted as a Finance Administrator (I was an apprentice) and I haven't looked back. I started level 3 in September and passed my first exam in Jan and have my second in April. After a year, my salary increased as they could see I was keen and an asset and now I have the experience and ever growing knowledge that is desirable. We have an accountant that comes in twice a week but is also away a lot and I have to deal with the everyday running's of our finances from raising/chasing invoices, reconciling accounts, payroll and plenty more responsibilities. If you can afford a pay cut and prove yourself, then I say go for it! Trying to even get an interview is half the battle!
    The best of luck!
    Lauren
  • Poppy_dd
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your suggestions! Just a little update, I didn't get the job... I think part of this was because I was still concerned about the pay drop and I didn't give the interview my best.

However, the lesson is learnt, after the interview and reading your comments, I feel it is ok to accept the drop to pursuit what I want to do as a career and that it should payoff eventually.

Thanks again!
    Poppy

Privacy Policy