Moving into tax

Options
AndyNewcastle
AndyNewcastle Registered Posts: 9 New contributor 🐸
Hi all,
I am fully AAT qualified (MAAT) and thinking I would like to move into tax (ATT?), perhaps to look at some kind of self employment in the distant future. However, I am currently struggling to get employment into a Tax Practice as "I don’t come from a practice background".

My worry is that I can get the qualification, but will struggle to gain practical experience/employment in that field.

Does anyone have any similar experience that they can guide me with?

Thanks
Andy

Comments

• Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I think you will struggle getting straight in to tax without a tax background, do you work in accounting at the moment?
  • AndyNewcastle
    Options
    Hi, I am in a small business (industry not practice) doing VAT and Payroll, SAGE accounting etc. That is my worry; that I gain the qualification but struggle to translate it into a career.
  • Gem7321
    Options
    I think you need to try and get in to a practice background ASAP - not necessarily in the tax department right away but with a view to progressing in to tax. But bear in mind that this move is likely to involve taking a pay cut.

Try looking for Junior type positions and write to local practices who offer in-house bookkeeping and management accounting and payroll services as this may be your way to get a foot in the door but be clear in your application that you are studying ATT with a keen interest in progressing in to tax and tax planning.

Good luck!
  • AndyNewcastle
    Options
    Hi Gem, thanks for that. However thats the rub. I am 10 years AAT qualified, so unlikely to get a junior position (even if I could afford the pay cut).
  • Gem7321
    Options
    I would say it's unlikely that you would get a Senior position in a practice as you would be expected to have statutory accounts and audit and/or tax knowledge and experience. You may be able to get a Senior/Manager position in an in-house bookkeeping etc. department which would probably still involve a pay cut but may have more job satisfaction in that you get a variety of clients and there are routes in to other departments. It really depends on how much you want it!

But keep looking, you may strike lucky.

Alternatively you may be able to gain your AAT practicing certificate with a mentor for your tax work?
  • AndyNewcastle
    Options
    Thanks Gem.
Privacy Policy