MIP Fees Survey - How much should I charge?

Options
burg
burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
So what's the answer?

Many questions are asked in this and other forums around pricing. This can range from one off jobs to pricing in general. A good guide is looking at how long it will take and using your desired hourly rate to come up with a fee. Another guide is to get hold of last years' accounts and look for what the client paid last year. Surely a good idea would be to find out what would others charge for the same work? Well now you can (anonymously).

I plan to run a fees survey to all MIP's, experienced, new and potential.

It will involve a series of questions (sent via private message or email) surrounding different examples of accounts/tax work for which you answer how much you would charge. (here's an old example bases on Monsoon and Steveo5678 - forums.aat.org.uk/discussion/438929/mini-fees-survey-2014)

I will then compile the data keeping your identity anonymous to the other participants. All participants will receive a copy for which you can compare where you sit against others as well as against the averages.

The more interest we get the better the results will be so please add you name below or private message me. Don't be scared the questions will be straightforward and if you don't provide any data you don't get any results. Not all of us can be right or wrong and there are bound to be variations, so please sign up below and have a go.

Ian
Regards,

Burg

Comments

• Buhir_the_Bookkeeper
    Buhir_the_Bookkeeper Registered Posts: 36 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
  • Buhir_the_Bookkeeper
    Buhir_the_Bookkeeper Registered Posts: 36 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Options
    Please add me to the survey - thanks MN
  • Dinky
    Dinky Registered Posts: 26
    Options
    Please add me too - thanks
  • shughes
    shughes Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    A good idea. Please add me to the list. Thanks
  • DTS
    DTS Registered Posts: 1
    Options
    Add me to the list please
  • ian_c
    ian_c Registered Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes please count me in!
  • burg
    Options
    Here is the link to the fees survey - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ynl8pb4xuub3hsz/AADpEkyP6XbxItDwwt_XGKwIa?dl=0

Please download it and then complete the yellow shaded cells and send back to me via email to ian@mbsaccountants.co.uk

Please remember to provide an anonymous ID in the first yellow cell so you can remain anonymous but find your own results.
    Regards,

Burg
  • burg
    Options
    Just so it is clear for all.

The idea of the fees survey is to get an idea of what you do and what you would charge. So if you do not have any clients which fit into one of the fee points but can come up with a good estimate of what you would charge then please do. The more data we have the more useful to everyone. If you really are unsure then do leave it blank.
    Regards,

Burg
  • stevo5678
    stevo5678 Registered Posts: 325
    Options
    Good shout Ian, I think this is very helpful for many of us on many levels. I'm in :)
  • Patricia
    Patricia Registered Posts: 3
    Options
    Good idea, please add me in.
  • Cristobalina
    Cristobalina Registered Posts: 8
    Options
    Please add me too, thank you.
  • charlenebb
    charlenebb Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Yes great idea please add me in
  • SirLes
    SirLes Registered Posts: 2
    Options
    I'll participate!
  • Pete12
    Pete12 Registered Posts: 58 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Please count me in!
  • LouiseRichardson
    LouiseRichardson Registered Posts: 9
    Options
    Please count me in.
  • burg
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi all,

I plan on closing this survery at the end of April and putting the results together. If you want to be included and have not done so already then please can you complete and send the document to me at ian@mbsaccountants.co.uk.

Document is here - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ynl8pb4xuub3hsz/AADpEkyP6XbxItDwwt_XGKwIa?dl=0

Regards,
    Regards,

Burg
  • AndrewG
    AndrewG Registered Posts: 6
    Options
    Good idea. I'll certainly participate.
  • burg
    Options
    Here is a link to the results summary http://bit.ly/1FnnJj9

If you took part in the survey and have not received the full report please send me an email or private message and I can look into this for you.

Thanks to everyone who took part
    Regards,

Burg
  • stevo5678
    stevo5678 Registered Posts: 325
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks Ian very useful! I'm probably where I expected above average on here by a little. I'm not as cheap as I thought! Particularly with minimum fees from a simple SA to a very small Ltd. Certainly not as expensive as some though. Would be interesting to see how MIP's fees change based on where they are in the life of their practice. As you said Ian, you are now a 'proper' business, does that mean you now charge proper fees?! Thanks again. Steve
  • burg
    Options
    When we gain clients from other practices I sometimes use this as a benchmark to see where we are at. I find we are about right for most sole traders. As for Ltd Co's we are a little cheap still at the lower end and usually about right at the higher end. Overall we generally achieve the recovery rates we want so are happy but we will always continue to monitor them.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Pete12
    Pete12 Registered Posts: 58 Epic contributor 🐘
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This is very interesting - thank you!
    I wonder if, in future surveys (or even better, this one as well - retrospectively), it would be possible to assign participants to geographic areas; intuitively, this is probably a significant factor to consider.
  • burg
    Options
    It is something we are looking at Pete. Ideally though we would need to increase the number of participants somewhat.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Jawz
    Jawz Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Brilliant survey report Ian,well done and thank you! Sorry I missed the survey. Been offline for a bit but hopefully back for good now :)
  • Kimozaki
    Kimozaki Registered Posts: 10
    Options
    Have just come across this. Planning to become an MIP and have no idea what I should charge (I work in industry). Your results summary is a little gem - thank you!

If you run it again next year then I'd be happy to contribute where I can :)
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Definitely for VAT Cash accounting I would charge double the fee of a normal VAT return, since it takes longer to prepare!
  • star2305
    star2305 Registered Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this forum. For some reason I can't open the link with the result. Can someone pls re-post it to me?
Privacy Policy