2010/11 Tax return

mahdi87 Registered Posts: 121 ? ? ?
Hi members

I hope everyone is well.

I have a friend of mine who did some self employment work for a period of 10 months during 2010/11 but she never registered herself for self employment or done anything about it. Now she needs prove of income for 6 years and she asked me if she can register as self employed just for that period and she is happy to pay whatever tax/penalties due.

is there a way he can do this?

looking forward to hear your comments on this.

Many thanks



  • burg
    burg Moderator, FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,441
    The time limit is generally 4 years after the end of the tax year to which the return relates. In this circumstance 5th April 2015. There have been some recent cases where this has been extended but in exceptional circumstances. It can be submitted but may not be processed.

    See - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/salfmanual/salf205.htm

  • phoenixd
    phoenixd FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 68 Regular contributor ⭐ ? ⭐
    A couple of years ago, I had to go back 8 years for a client. The returns were manually processed by the HMRC and the penalties were hefty (over thirty thousand pounds) though, admittedly, this was a high earning client. All you will need to do is contact HMRC to backdate the registration, then fill in a tax return form for that period, post to submit and then notify and ask HMRC to manually process it. There will be penalties for late registration and of course non-submission from that time to last year as nil returns (if indeed there was nothing to report) should have been sent annually. Better explain properly to your client to agree a way forward, if any. Mind you, now that you know of the unreported income, I'm not sure you can now turn a blind eye..
Privacy Policy