Getting approached to take on clients?

Options
MA86
MA86 Registered Posts: 9 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi,

I'm currently studying AAT Level 4 and am getting approached by people to do their books/ self assessment etc.

At the minute, I'm helping a friend who has just started out as a partnership - I'm helping them register with HMRC so they can get their UTR number and I plan to help them set up their books.

Now though, I've just had someone get in contact who has a steady business, who I'm going to chat with later this week!

As I'm not yet AAT qualified, what can I actually do for these people?

Cheers,
Mark

Comments

• MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Options
    I think you can do whatever you feel you are able to take on as long as you do not mention AAT in anyway. But you would need to be under HMRC's supervision for ML and I would strongly recommend you get PI Insurance - I recall there is a section on the AAT website for students going self-employed you may want to check.
  • kelsmick
    kelsmick Registered Posts: 89
    Options
    Could you not get your practice licence with the AAT? I may be wrong but i thought you could apply for this after you've passed level 3, so this would cover you for ML purposes. It may just limit you to what you are qualified by the AAT to do though.
    www.essencebookkeeping.co.uk
  • MA86
    MA86 Registered Posts: 9 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

At present, I've recently received my UTR code and am in the process of filling out the MLR101 form and registering as an agent.

kelsmick - Thanks for the info, that's excellent. You may have just saved me £200+
    I'll have to look at the AAT website for more info on this
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Options
    I think you need to be a full member to get a practice licence under the MIP scheme. In doubt give the AAT a call.
Privacy Policy