Home For accounting professionals General accounting discussion
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

is auto enrollment investment advice

If a client asks you to recommend a pension provider, are you by doing so providing investment advice ?
What would be the impact on our licencing position ?
Does anyone have a definitive answer.


  • MarieNoelleMarieNoelle Trusted Regular Hampshire/Surrey borderModerator, MAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,432
    Yes, I believe you would need to be regulated by the financial conduct authority to provide this service. You may recommend a local IFA who can provide advice.
  • paulstaffordpaulstafford Feels At Home Registered Posts: 126
    You can recommend a pension provider to an employer, but not provide investment advice to their employees.

  • shamil91shamil91 Registered Posts: 94
    Hi there,

    You should be able to provide advice in relation to pension providers, such as NEST or The peoples pensions, but you can not provide financial advice etc. In payroll some employers may ask for the payrollers advice on different pension providers.

    Hope this helps you out

    Kind regards

    Shamil Karia
Sign In or Register to comment.