VAT Adjustment

Options
sjkr
sjkr Registered Posts: 74 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi,
I have taken over a new client, ltd company. Whilst doing their year end, I discovered that I need to put through an adjustment to credit the VAT account to show what was owed. Which Sage code should I use for the debit entry?
No year end was run on Sage for the previous year, the previous accountants opening balances did not correct the VAT account, and I think I have overthought the whole thing and confused myself!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• CeeJaySix
    CeeJaySix Registered Posts: 645
    Options
    All depends where the error is! Has output VAT been included in sales rather than going to the VAT output nominal (eg. invoices coded T0 or T9 in error)? Has input VAT been over-claimed (ie. expenses understated)?
  • sjkr
    sjkr Registered Posts: 74 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thanks, think I've sorted it!
  • Jawz
    Jawz Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Agreed CeeJaySix, however*input vat over-claimed would means expenses are overstated or sales understated...
  • CeeJaySix
    CeeJaySix Registered Posts: 645
    Options
    I was working on the basis that if you've over-claimed input VAT (claiming where you shouldn't have eg. exempt purchases, wages, or even on VAT payments - all of which I've seen from clients), if the gross amount was correct then the expense will be understated (ie. expense is recorded net of the incorrect VAT when it should be gross as there is no VAT). But I see your point if you've claimed too much input VAT you may have simply overstated the gross expense.
  • Jawz
    Jawz Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Yep, I totally agree. I see your point too, brilliant point actually :) ...Thank you.
Privacy Policy