Quit Level 4 or no?

Options
I have previously completed level 3 and started Level 4, and all I have completed is the project. Where i am studying they are no help.

Finding it too difficult with all the studying and exams, and I'm not happy, and I just want to quit everything.

What should I do?

Comments

• BU982T
    BU982T Registered Posts: 40
    Options
    What will you do instead? You don't have to answer that, but as long as you do have something else in mind then go ahead and quit. I definitely wouldn't bother with something I don't want to be doing. Just make sure you're not quitting purely because of the exams/studying (as you'll have to do that or something similar with almost everything else out there), but rather because you just don't like accountancy.
  • g_bonsor
    g_bonsor Registered Posts: 26 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I would definitely recommend distance learning, Kaplan offers online classroom tutorials where you can watch videos as if you are being taught in the classroom. It also offers you online tutor help or telephone (depending on which version you choose) this way you will still be provided with lots of resources and help, but it will be down to you to book your exams whenever you feel you are ready.

Don't give up just because it's getting difficult - only give up if its something you do not feel you will enjoy. It would be a shame to give up something that has the potential to be a great career just because unfortunately the training provider aren't very helpful!
  • klbookkeeping
    klbookkeeping Registered Posts: 37
    Options
    I am on level 4, started sept 15. For the first 3 months I hated every lesson and was just about in tears every time I came back from college. I felt like I wasn't getting enough teaching but got told that's all yr getting and u have to study a lot at home. I've taken financial performance and financial statements exams and passed both first time. I have been on with my project for weeks and I absolutely hate it, have had numerous sleepless nights but it's nearly done thank goodness!!!! Have a good think because I wanted to give up after starting but I'm so pleased I kept with it, it does all fall into place eventually. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Sharon123
    Sharon123 Registered Posts: 80
    Options
    I think everyone hates the project! Personally I don't like the way it's constructed and I would certainly not write one like this at work. I spent a lot of time and effort on mine only to produce something that I was in no way proud of at the end. There seemed to be a lot of duplication of information in the sections and the emphasis was on making sure that the mapping document pointed straight a the relevant points for the verifier rather than the overall report.
  • sabina
    sabina Registered Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm thinking of changing my training provider,and doing it privately through online classes - this way I know I'm in control.
    What worries me is that I'll take longer to finish my AAT but I plan to finish all my exams before 12 months.

Is this possible??
  • g_bonsor
    Options
    If you are committed and focus on your studies, I think it is possible to complete these exams in 12 months.

If you were studying at college, the course would generally be 12 months, so if you use the time where you would be studying at college, and put in some extra work when you have the time - I think it is possible :)
  • sabina
    Options
    At my current college, they were rushing everything too much, and I lost track. We spend a good 3/4 months just on the project which I personally think was a waste of time.

I just have to pass all the exams and I'll be qualified.
    I'm currently working full time, so I do think I can do it, as long as I study a bit everyday.
  • klbookkeeping
    Options
    That isn't Gud we've only had about an hour tuition on the project and got left to do it but tutor was on hand if we needed help.

I felt that there wasn't enough time spent revising financial statements but I passed it first time. I think on level 4 you have to put a lot of time at home revising which is different from level 3.

I hope you get through yr level 4, it would be a shame not to finish it when you have got this far.
  • g_bonsor
    Options
    I know its hard to juggle things working full time. Have you spoken to your employers to see if they will give you any time at work to study?

I think the key to learning is little often so even if you just did an hour every night when you get home or something ? And maybe spend a Saturday morning doing some work and then using the rest of your weekend to relax?

At the end of the day it is up to you - but if you are teaching yourself there is no rush to complete the course as you can decide when to book your exams, so that should take the stress of rushing to complete it off. You can take the exam when you feel ready!

If you do not feel it is what you enjoy and a career that you want to take then don't feel you have to - but in the same way, don't give up just because of the training provider as you do have lots of options :)

Like klbookkeeping said, it would be a shame not to finish when you have got this far!

Good luck :)
  • Adele69
    Adele69 Registered Posts: 320
    Options
    Wouldn't changing your training provider mean losing what you had paid for the current year as I guess you won't get this money back?
  • klbookkeeping
    Options
    I changed my service provider after completing levels 2 and 3 but I have to say the new provider isn't any better than the other on and I got a student loan for level 3 but my new provider didn't give me that option so I've spent a lot of money and the training is no better.

Have a good think before you rush into anything.
  • sabina
    Options
    I've just got Level 4 to complete.
    My employer is going to give me time to revise so it's fine.
    Does anyone do any online classes/distance learning? Are they any good?
  • Sharon123
    Sharon123 Registered Posts: 80
    Options
    I'm really pleased you're getting some support with your Level 4. Good luck, it'll all be worth it in the end
  • klbookkeeping
    Options
    Good luck keep plodding away, it does get easier
  • g_bonsor
    Options
    Sabina, I have not yet used the online courses but that is my plan .. I am going to be using Kaplan - don't know if that might be any good to you?

Online tutor support, online video lectures, practice questions and workbook etc. Looks good to me, but obviously I'm not sure as I haven't used it yet.

I have used the books for my studies and they've been very helpful - but am yet to use the distance learning.

Good luck with it all - great news that your employer is supporting you!
  • sabina
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I'm not doing it with Kaplan, but its all online classes, and Ill get send resources such as revision books.

I start in June, so I've got time just to clear my head before I start studying again.

Privacy Policy