CIMA

Options
Hi guys,

For those who are on the road to CIMA, or, those who have completed the qualification -

my question is as follows -

We are eligible to claim exemptions from the initial five CIMA papers. AAT does not cover a large section of what is contained within those five certificate papers, therefore is it a 'smarter' move to study the certificate papers, even though the exemptions are there?

Or would you just buy the study texts for the certificate papers?

Ultimately, I guess I'm trying to ascertain whether operational level, and above, can be completed without the CIMA 'base' knowledge ingrained.

Thank you.

Comments

• BU982T
    BU982T Registered Posts: 40
    Options
    Personally, I would just buy the books and fill in any gaps. For example, I plan on starting ACCA next year, but I have purchased the texts for F1 - F3 to ensure I have no gaps in my knowledge and it will serve as a refresher as well. Of course, as you mention there is a large section that it isn't covered, it may not be the same as with ACCA, but I would still take the exemptions and study anything I don't know without the added pressure of having to deal with exams.
  • south59
    south59 Registered Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi Guys.

Thanks for your responses.

That is interesting, to know that you've found no issues having not studied the certificate papers.

Essentially my thoughts were based upon having had a skim through the like of economics, together with the law paper.

Thoughts of, I haven't covered these during my AAT days.

Maybe I'll pull the trigger on CIMA, it was between CIMA or CIOT, having ATT already.

Two entirely different qualifications - yet the apex of the charter is calling.

Thanks
  • south59
    south59 Registered Posts: 22
    Options
    Lelouch if you don't mind me asking-

How long did it take you to complete level 4? And how long to complete your first operational level exam?

I'm just trying to ascertain a sort of time line of study needed.

Is it wrong of me to assume that a unit of CIMA is likely to take 2 - 3 times as long to complete than it would a AAT unit?

It is understood there is a major difference, together with the CIMA study materials been written in a more grown up way, shall we say?

Comparing apples with oranges comes to mind, yet I'm just trying to sense a form of baseline.

Thanks
  • Lelouch
    Lelouch Registered Posts: 35
    Options
    Hi @south59,

It took me about 8-9 months to finish level 4 and around 2 months for my first operational exam, enterprise operations (it was the driest of subjects). I have recently started financial operations which is a lot more interesting, but the book is huge!

You are bang on describing the cima study materials, its not as spoon fed as the AAT resources. I would say 2 months per exam (at this level) would be enough, but having only sat one I am hardly the expert.

It may be worth adding yourself to CIMA mailing list as sometimes they offer free/discounted membership.

Jim
Privacy Policy